Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default band sawing annealed 304 SS?

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 05:08:06 -0600, Karl Townsend
wrote:

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 05:14:04 GMT, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 19:35:24 -0800 (PST), aribert neumann
wrote:

My wanted a touch-pad for her recipes in the kitchen - so I got her
one for Christmas. Now she is looking for a holder that will store
the pad up under the upper cabinets and pivot down and out for her to
read. The only articulating holder that I found was for an I-pad and
hers is not the same size. I am thinking of a bracket mounted to the
underside of the upper cabinet with a simple pivot, a pair of links
that are saw cut for the touch-pad to slip into. I am thinking of
making the links out of annealed 304 SS. Do I need to be concerned
about work hardening from sawing? I have very little experience
working w/ SS.

I've got a whole bunch of 304 sheet. I basically can't bandsaw it, it
just dulls the blade

Slow the surface speed. There's no reason why you can't saw 304 stainless
so long as you have two or more teeth in contact with the cut at all times.
For thin material, shoot for a 32 pitch blade. Hard to find, but it will do
the job.

Harold

hard to find? I've never seen or heard of it for large blades. I've
got 32 pitch in 1/4 in wide but no way could you put enough pressure
for stainless. Where would you go for a fine pitch 3/4" by 10' blade?

Direct to the mfgrs? Or ask a tool shop to find one for you, at the
risk of paying a hefty premium to them for the search.

--
Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why
good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a