Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default band sawing annealed 304 SS?

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 05:14:04 GMT, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message

I've got a whole bunch of 304 sheet. I basically can't bandsaw it, it
just dulls the blade

Slow the surface speed.

Or speed it way up. Friction sawing SS works exceptionally well. The
cut thickness is limited by blade speed. I can do 11ga on my older
DoAll, but it maxes out at 1500FPM. I used to have a 36" Crescent that
I set up to run at around 6000FPM. It made quick work of 3/8", slowed
down for 1/2", and would cut 3/4" in a pinch. The DoAll Zephyrs are
purpose-built for friction sawing and run up to 15000FPM.

A dull 10T carbon blade works fine, but will fail pretty quickly from
fatigue. Factory welded friction blades run much longer before they
break. Make sure to have good guards, and pay attention to the
tick-tick-tick that signals the blade is about to let go.

--
Ned Simmons