Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default drying something in a plactic bag.

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 07:42:29 -0800 (PST), Ron
wrote:

it may not work but drying it fast is important

Too late for that!

Actually the guy I got it from did remove the battery and the memory
card, and leave it open, but it didnt' help.

That was months ago, and he just gave it to me today.

This happened months ago and you think it still has water in it?

I would say it's fried if it doesn't work.

You know, you're probably right. At least that drying won't help.

I do think there could still be water in it. Somehow I think water
has an easier time getting in t han it does getting out, that
evaporation is incrediblly slow.

But I think the damage has been done.

Fried? with only 7 volts? I sort of doubt that.

I'm thinking the on-off switch or the battery contacts might be
corroded. That would account for the fact that nothing at all
happens.

The battery contracts look qlean and I put a drop of DeoxIT DP5 into
the slide switch, but doing that from the top never works well.

I've found 5 screws, enough to take 3 of the 4 sides off, so maybe I
can get at the swtitch wihtout the whole thing popping apart. But
experience tells me I should try the rice first, since that won't
cause the camera to burst apart. When/if that doesn't work, I'll try
taking it apart.

Thanks and thanks all.