Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Metal bandsaw tracking

I agree with the puller procedure to get "eyes on" the problem area.

I strongly dislike the displaced metal deformation on shafts due to the
cupped or pointed set screw making removal of pulleys/gears etc, difficult
or almost impossible.

One could cut away the deformation with a center-cutting endmill in a drill
(use a small piece of thin wall tubing or durable tape to protect the
threads), or be vewwy vewwy cahfuwl.. then after the drive accessory is
removed, file a flat on the shaft (and possibly a slightly longer set screw
for re-assembly).

Otherwise, forcing the pulley off the shaft won't completely destroy it,
just score the bore as the pully material passes over the displaced high
spots on the shaft.. definitely not as practical of a solution compared to
the above method, but we've all done it when the particular situation
dictated it.

--
Cheers,
WB

"Stanley Schaefer" wrote in message

So, if the bottom wheel is touching the cover, it needs to go back as
does the top wheel. Of course. the guide rollers will need
readjusting after that as well. I would have gotten out the pulley
pullers to remove the bottom wheel, cleaned up the no doubt burred-up
shaft, retapped the setscrew hole while it was off and replaced the
setscrew with a decent domestic-made one. I've never seen SAE
hardware on any of the asian 4x6s, it's no doubt one flavor of an 8mm
hole. There are several pitches to choose from, it'll be the one that
no one in town has, I speak from experience here.

Stan