Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default Boost Converter Tutorial?

"John Larkin" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 08:11:30 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 22:02:09 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 00:45:00 -0500, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 20:34:28 -0500, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

PWM BOOST is NOT trivial, though I'm well on my way to an
off-the-wall STABLE solution... found by running the math instead
of my mouth.

Off the wall in what way?

In ways I will apply for patent, then explain ;-)

So it's totally wacky then.

Continuous-mode PWM boost is just one baby step past trivial. All you
minimally need to do is limit the ON duty cycle to a modest amount
past what you need to overcome losses, to avoid the 100% ON
singularity. It's been done zillions of times. If a uP is generating
the PWM, you can do a smart algorithm with nice ramp-ups and stable
current limiting.

I'm sure glad everything is trivial for his majesty.

...Jim Thompson

Not everthing, but continuous-mode, PWM controlled boost has been done
for about 0.4 century now. I doubt there's anything patentable that
somebody hasn't done already.

I've done it a bunch of times, including boosters that transitioned
from discontinuous to continuous as the load increased. I've met
people who were horrified of continuous-mode boost; don't know why
they were. It's really nice and clean and doesn't need snubbing. Just
avoid the singularity.

Stop - you'll confuse the poor little mite.