Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default HP ink jet printer cartridge cleaning and refilling

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 18:08:17 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

One is a pro photographer. He is currently trying a set
in a spare printer that he has. He showed me a print that had been done with
them, and the same print done with genuine HP Vivera photo inks. You could
not tell the difference in terms of colour rendition. He is now leaving some
prints out in daylight, to see how stable these Chinese inks are, as he
reckons that a few years back, he bought some refilled cartridges from one
of these high street shops that you see selling them, and that the pictures
just faded away over a period of about 3 months.

Arfa

HP Vivera inks are water based pigment inks. The color is in the
pigment which remains on the paper. Some refillers use dye type inks,
which are cheaper, easier to refill, flow better, but will fade.
However, about the only inks that will work on glossy and
non-absorbent paper is dye type inks. Pigment inks are UV resistant
while dye type inks will fade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inkjet_printer#Ink_formulations
http://www.inkguides.com/printers-ink.asp
http://www.inkguides.com/hp-vivera-inks-cartridge.asp
http://h10088.www1.hp.com/gap/Data/en/Z6100_productivity.pdf
http://www.harmantechnology.com/DotNetNuke/Technology/Inkjet/tabid/181/Default.aspx

The only way I've been able to recognize the difference is to heat a
sample on a microscope slide. The dye type inks will almost totally
evaporate. The pigment types will leave some residue.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D