Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default HP ink jet printer cartridge cleaning and refilling

I recently was given an HP J3640 Officejet printer. This printer had
apparently sat around for a few years and both the color and black
cartridges had dried up. Without knowing if the printer had any other
problems I wasn't going to spend money on new cartridges. So after
multiple soakings in very warm water I finally got the color one to
print but only in red and yellow. There was no cyan, and the black
still would not print.

I discovered that HP cartridges have small fill holes under their
labels which makes it a snap to access the sponges inside with a
hypo. I obtained some generic cyan and black ink from my son, and used
a syringe to fill both cartridges. Then I "boiled" them both some
more. Eventually they both came alive and although the contrast on
color isn't perfect it's certainly pretty good. The black looks fine
now too. After running the clean cycle a few times and aligning the
cartridges I'm quite pleased with how things turned out. Now I'm
thinking of getting some yellow and red from him and topping off those
colors as well.

The only issue now is that on power up I get a message that both
cartridges are low on ink. If I acknowledge the message by pressing
"OK" it goes away and everything is good and the printer works fine.
Now I can accept the fact that the yellow and red may be low as I
didn't touch them but I know that I definitely filled the black right
up so it can't be low.

I've been told that there is a "chip" in these cartridges that tells
the printer when the cartridge is low and that this chip somehow needs
to be reset. Or can I just acknowledge the message each time, make it
go away, and resume normal operation? Does this "chip" count pages or
does it actually measure the ink levels?

I certainly don't mind doing the reset each time on power up or
whenever, so I guess what I'm asking is is this message just simply a
reminder, generated by a chip that "thinks" its cartridge is low? And
would it be OK to just simply acknowledge it each time, thereby making
it go away, or if left to its own devices will it eventually cause
other problems or cause the printer to shut down completely? Thanks,
Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

klem kedidelhopper wrote:

[...]

Which HP cartridges? I haven't seen any that were 'chipped', and have
refilled a lot of different types. One thing to keep in mind is that
the printhead is in the HP cartridge, and running them dry can destroy
them. I think there is a serail number, but the printer only tracks a
couple sets before they are removed from memory. Epson was really big
on storing the information on an EEROM inside the cartridge and cheap
'Cartridge Chip Reseter' were for sale all over the place a couple
years ago and are still on Ebay.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Feb 17, 8:33*pm, klem kedidelhopper
wrote:
[...]

Apparently your computer lacks the "google" button. With mine, I was
able to find www.stratitec.com, which states that you can blithely
ignore such messages. But it cautions against trying to resuscitate a
cartridge that has dried out from years of non use.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 20:33:05 -0800 (PST), klem kedidelhopper
wrote:

I recently was given an HP J3640 Officejet printer.

This printer uses 21 and 22 ink carts. To reset the carts, see
instructions at:
http://www.ink-refills-ink.com/InfoPages/HP%20Resets/reset_56_58.htm
http://thehiccup.wordpress.com/2008/09/22/how-to-reset-hp-ink-level-hp-2728-and-hp-2122/
http://www.refillinstructions.com/HP/H28.htm
and many more. Refilling carts that have been empty for a long time
usually doesn't work well. I have various tricks for cleaning the
heads, but my batting average is about 50%. In the future, try to
refill before the cart runs completely dry.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
I recently was given an HP J3640 Officejet printer.

This printer uses 21 and 22 ink carts. *To reset the carts, see
instructions at:
http://www.ink-refills-ink.com/InfoPages/HP%20Resets/reset_56_58.htm
http://thehiccup.wordpress.com/2008/09/22/how-to-reset-hp-ink-level-h...
http://www.refillinstructions.com/HP/H28.htm
and many more. *Refilling carts that have been empty for a long time
usually doesn't work well. *I have various tricks for cleaning the
heads, but my batting average is about 50%. *In the future, try to
refill before the cart runs completely dry.

--
Jeff Liebermann * *
150 Felker St #D * *http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann * * AE6KS * *831-336-2558

Thanks for the great tips guys. I'm going to top off the red and
yellow and do the reset. BTW I did try to get to that site Spamtrrap
suggested and I got a 404 error message. Don't know if there is
another door. Lenny

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

My browser, or access, does the same thing.

Somehow google like to add its own name if the http: is missing

either check the EXACT wording of the URL, or clean it up ahead of
time before pasting it in.

this is what it should look like in your browser:
http://www.stratitec.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

http://www.stratitec.com- Hide quoted text -

I have been reffilling cartridges for 7+ years, most cartridges can
be refilled at least a dozen times before the bubble-jet print heads
start to get tired. Save a lot of $$$ that way. If I do get ink on
my hands, a little full-strength Clorix or similar bleach washes it
right away. Eventually, the print heads do get sloppy, maybe the jet
opening gets bigger or something else goes wrong, but as others have
said, the sooner you refill the better.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks for this post. My late dad used to refill my cartridges perfectly,
but for me it usually leaks every other time because I forgot a step.

I had not used my printer for two years and recently felt I had to throw out
the old cartridges. (ok, one of them the stopped no longer fit snuggly).

A friend bought discount cartridges for his daughter online and made me feel
lousy for suggesting it because the box-fresh cartridges said "low ink".

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

klem kedidelhopper wrote:

[...]

You can't have a sense of humor, if you have no sense

My Photosmart C5180 uses 363 cartridges, and they are chipped. As far as I
know, they do not measure ink directly. It's a case of them estimating when
they should be empty, based on what the printer knows it has done since the
cartridge was replaced. This is why the low ink message always says
"estimated ink levels", and why you can usually carry on printing for at
least a year (well, a bit longer, anyway ...) before the cartridge *really*
runs out.

As it happens, I recently got fed up of shelling out about six quid or so
($9) for each of the five colour cartridges, and twice that for a high
capacity black. They are not even an HP type that has the print head built
in. I've always been a bit wary of 'generic' inks, but based on the fact
that the price to re-ink it with 'genuines' was getting silly, I cast around
the 'net to see what I could find. I came up with a company here in the UK
that was selling not one but two complete sets of six high capacity
cartridges, for the grand total of 8 quid ($12) post free !!

I ordered a couple of sets, and they arrived in less than 24 hours. Yes,
they are Chinese, but they are all individually sealed in their own bags,
and the printer accepts them without squawking that they are not 'real', and
correctly reads them as high capacity types. So far, I have not had the
slightest problem with them, and nor have a number of friends that I have
recommended them to. One is a pro photographer. He is currently trying a set
in a spare printer that he has. He showed me a print that had been done with
them, and the same print done with genuine HP Vivera photo inks. You could
not tell the difference in terms of colour rendition. He is now leaving some
prints out in daylight, to see how stable these Chinese inks are, as he
reckons that a few years back, he bought some refilled cartridges from one
of these high street shops that you see selling them, and that the pictures
just faded away over a period of about 3 months.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in
:

Thanks for this post. My late dad used to refill my cartridges
perfectly, but for me it usually leaks every other time because I
forgot a step.

I had not used my printer for two years and recently felt I had to
throw out the old cartridges. (ok, one of them the stopped no longer
fit snuggly).

A friend bought discount cartridges for his daughter online and made
me feel lousy for suggesting it because the box-fresh cartridges said
"low ink".

- = -
Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus,
BioStrategist
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully
disclaimed.}---
[Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive
guards]
[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime
Bimbos]

Walgreens refills printer cartridges for a low price.
they have a nice little machine for it.
No charge if the cartridge is bad,or too clogged,if it is not a successful
print test.
they actually run a print test on the cartridge.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

My Photosmart C5180 uses 363 cartridges, and they are chipped. As far as I
know, they do not measure ink directly. It's a case of them estimating when
they should be empty, based on what the printer knows it has done since the
cartridge was replaced. This is why the low ink message always says
"estimated ink levels", and why you can usually carry on printing for at
least a year (well, a bit longer, anyway ...) before the cartridge *really*
runs out.

I wasn't saying that they didn't exist, just that I han't run into
them so far.

[...]

I have used old stock & refilled cartridges for years. I have about
100 old, sealed carts on hand, and look through the old printers to see
if they fit anything. I've only bought one new cartridge in 12 years.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

klem kedidelhopper wrote:

[...]

I bought a refill kit at CompUSA once,a long time ago,and the black ink
faded to brown even when the document was stored away in a file box,out of
the light.eventually,the doc became unreadable.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 18:08:17 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

One is a pro photographer. He is currently trying a set
in a spare printer that he has. He showed me a print that had been done with
them, and the same print done with genuine HP Vivera photo inks. You could
not tell the difference in terms of colour rendition. He is now leaving some
prints out in daylight, to see how stable these Chinese inks are, as he
reckons that a few years back, he bought some refilled cartridges from one
of these high street shops that you see selling them, and that the pictures
just faded away over a period of about 3 months.

Arfa

HP Vivera inks are water based pigment inks. The color is in the
pigment which remains on the paper. Some refillers use dye type inks,
which are cheaper, easier to refill, flow better, but will fade.
However, about the only inks that will work on glossy and
non-absorbent paper is dye type inks. Pigment inks are UV resistant
while dye type inks will fade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inkjet_printer#Ink_formulations
http://www.inkguides.com/printers-ink.asp
http://www.inkguides.com/hp-vivera-inks-cartridge.asp
http://h10088.www1.hp.com/gap/Data/en/Z6100_productivity.pdf
http://www.harmantechnology.com/DotNetNuke/Technology/Inkjet/tabid/181/Default.aspx

The only way I've been able to recognize the difference is to heat a
sample on a microscope slide. The dye type inks will almost totally
evaporate. The pigment types will leave some residue.