Posted to rec.woodworking
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Finish for red oak on stair treads

On Feb 18, 4:42*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
I'm fixin' to sculpture some stair treads from some rough cut red oak i
practically stole from an Amish auction ( 85 cents per BF). *What i need
to know is what finish i can use that meets the following criteria:

1. not water based poly
2. natural (as clear as oil based can do)
3. not too slick to sock feet

Things that don't matter:

1. odor while applying
2. cost
3. time takes to finish properly

thanks in advance! ,
--
Steve Barker

Nothing makes red oak glow like amber shellac. It's plenty
durable; my oak floors are 40 years old, amber shellac finish,
still in good shape. 2 lb cut goes on fast, self-levels, no need
to scuff between coats, as with varnish or water based.

Cut the "slickness" by using paste floor wax; these differ
from regular wax by addition of silica.