Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stanley Schaefer Stanley Schaefer is offline

Default Oil Packaging Question

On Feb 18, 7:45*pm, Erik wrote:
Hi all,

Was talking to a neighbor this morning, and somehow came on the subject
of 1 quart plastic oil bottles... and we were trying to remember about
what year the change to them was made.

Does anyone here remember about when that was?

I'm thinking mid 80's or so...

Thanks in advance!

Erik

PS, BTW, I still have one of those old cans.. full and un-opened!

wikipedia say's '80s, about what I remember. Cardboard "cans" and
bottles were side by side for quite a while before the cans went away,
at least as onesies. My Dad had an "in" with the Conoco bulk
distributor, so we had cans for quite awhile. Think he saved about a
buck a case on that cheap crap. Once I had a car of my own, those
bottles saved a whole lot of mess. I think the main impetus was that
the cases for bottles were a lot smaller than the ones for the cans,
could get more on a truck that way. Plus about that time, there were
a lot of smaller FWD cars coming out with oil fill caps in pretty
tight spaces that you couldn't reach without a funnel or a loooong
spout. I can remember topping up the old 400 V8 from cans, punch a V
into the can top with my hook knife on one side, a small slit for the
vent on the other, stick a finger across the V and tip it towards the
opening in the valve cover. I usually got the contents in with only a
couple of drips, the fill hole was out front and was a couple of
inches across. Couldn't do that these days with just about any car on
the road.

Stan