Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT- .410 pistol

Gunner Asch on Sun, 19 Feb 2012 02:19:53 -0800
On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 19:27:19 -0800, "Steve B" wrote:

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote

Too many people who carry do so without any mental or physical
discipline. It takes work. Regular work.

LLoyd

Sorry. Too busy with real work and real life to spend that much time on
imaginary scenarios. I guess some people are just lucky.

Steve

Its not imaginary scenarios..its muscle memory that you are training.

Without it..the brain tends to skid, swerve and forget its trying to
keep the body alive.

It is amazing how fast you can recall instructions in a crisis -
"if you have the time". I locked up the brakes one time and went into
a skid, and "heard" Bill Cosby saying "I recalled from Driver's ed
'turn in the direction the skid'" then my dad saying "you can't steer
when the brakes are locked". So I cam off the brakes, and missed the
station wagon.
A comparison can be made to any other sport. Basketball is a good
example. Ever wonder why the "champ" tends to "clutch" when he has to
make the free throw with seconds left and the game on the line?
Because he's no longer shooting baskets, he's "making a shot" - the
part of his brain which had to work through all the details before it
could become "muscle memory" is not back in control - he's thinking
about what it is he is trying to do.
Same with your defense shooting: you want your brain, arm and
hand to be repeating all the moves you made in practice, while your
mind is gibbering "shoot him now! shoot him now!" (add your own Daffy
Duck vocal effects) or "Oh look 'sparkles'!" Or "did I remember to
take out the trash at home?" What ever your mind is blathering, your
brain is not listening to, just going through the check list "One,
grasp the pistol. Two extract it from holster. Three, bring other
hand up to meet, etc ... all the way through "check for other threats"
and "start holstering subroutine."
And as my instructor said while I fumbled through a weapon change
"Don't worry, take your time. You have the rest of your life to do
this." Thanks, I think.

--
pyotr filipivich
The question was asked: "Is Hindsight overrated?"