Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Vertical Mill - $300 Craigslist

Ed Huntress wrote:

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 18:24:50 -0600, Ignoramus15658

On 2012-02-19, Pete C. wrote:
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:
Since the machine is over 1000 miles away, it's all rather pointless
for so many of you to keep harping on how I should do things.

You're the one harping on us how we should revive the antique control
and live with it's tremendous limitations rather than upgrade it to a
modern control.

Exactly. Both Pete and I have machines based on modern PC controls, so
we speak out of actual knowledge.

At any rate, in April or so I will be doing another cross country trip
up to the frozen northeast, and before I go I will search around to see
if there is a similarly good deal along the way I can pickup to retrofit
for my shop.

Pete, you will be VERY happy if you come across a Bridgeport Interact
sized machine. But you likely will need to use a servo based control
system.

I can look for one for you and let you know if I come across anything.

This might come through a few times, or not at all *sigh* NEWS server
issues...

It would be great if you could find one for me, you certainly have the
knack for finding them, even a small VMC would be nice if the price was
right. The Kitamura Mycenter 1s I used to work on were a nice size to
fit a larger home shop. I have no problem running EMC2 for a retrofit,
it didn't exist when I did my CNC shoot-out between EMC and MACH2, if it
had I may have gone with EMC2.

Got it...

You guys should see what I was watching over the past few days. Eleven
axes; you set the pallet changer to load on Tuesdays, and you ship
parts with around 50 machined features, on five sides, on Thursdays.
Complete SPC reports are packed with each carton of parts. No lights
are needed in the shop. g

With what it costs, I'm sure you can't afford the lights anyway...