Ed Clarke

Default Dust Collectors: A killer health hazard!

In article , Clarke Echols wrote:

and read of his experience with severe asthma and his near-fatal encounter
with fine wood dust. My experience with cutting MDF on my Unisaw quickly
convinced me he was not exaggerating at all, and I decided to build a
cyclone using his design. I commend his site to everyone's careful
perusal. EVERY woodworker, serious or casual hobbyist, owes to himself
(or herself), spouse, family, and others to be well-informed about the
DANGERS to life and health that come from working with wood and being
around wood dust!

[snip]

I'm using a bag type collector to get the large scale sawdust and a JDS
style collector to filter out the fine dust (eventually). This combination
keeps the place clean enough to do some finishing work. As mentioned in
your posting, this is not sufficient to protect ME. For that I use an
airmate powered unit. This gives me a hard hat, a face shield and dust
protection.

I'm considering buying organic cartridges for the unit also because I'm
unhappy with what I read on MSDS labels for thinners, solvents and strippers.
Your cyclone won't help at all with airborne chemical hazards and most masks
don't work worth a damn for those of us who have hair that has migrated
down from our head and onto our face.