Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike mike is offline

Default Replacement for broken coaxial power connector at Acer netbookpower supply?

On 2/17/2012 9:00 AM, Jens Herrmann wrote:
On 02/16/2012 04:26 AM, mike wrote:
A cable has at least two conductors and several insulating layers.
EXACTLY what is breaking? Assume the plug is fine, 'cause you said
"cable". So, this is a wire problem...right???

Its the conductors braking all the time. As the plug is of the molded
type its not possible to resolder it in a decent way. Eventually I cut
off all the plastic from the plug, resoldered and wrapped some tape
around it.

Spring????

You can see the spring following the link posted by Colin:
http://www.laptopjacks.com/view_part...ck-PL5525.html

Regards
Jens

I don't see anything I'd call a spring?
Are you talking about the flexible part that's the strain relief?

Your wires break because you let the joint flex.
Probably breaks at the place where the solder meets the unsoldered part
of the wire.

If you expect it to last, you need to prevent movement.

What I do is go to radio shack and buy a plug.
Ream out the hole in the cover so it barely fits the wire.
Solder it all together.
Shove some hot melt glue in it and screw on the cap before
the glue hardens.

Another thing I've done is to start with a BIC-brand ball point pen
with the clear plastic. Can't be sure what they use now, but the
ones I have are easily molded using a heat gun to heat 'em up
and form the soft plastic where you want it to go.

Hot melt glue alone is a lot better than nothing. If you get some of
the hardening style hot melt, even better.

You MUST immobilize the wire at the connection, or it will break again.