Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke[_3_] Hawke[_3_] is offline

Default DEFINING AND UNDERSTANDING THE LEFT

On 2/15/2012 3:15 PM, jk wrote:
Ed wrote:

It's the Internet. I've watched it develop since I was first online,
in 1983.

They act like a mob. On the whole, they are the most other-directed
and least-independent-minded people I've ever seen in my life.

Could be, I don't think it is the right, or the left that is the
issue. THe Internet shortens the time on their feedback loop, so
that any extreme gets more so, left, right, tinfoil beanie, or just
plain wierd.
jk

I've also seen this change in young people as well. So it's not just
right wing men that now think so highly of their views they can't keep
them to themselves. It's a lot of younger people too. In the past young
people were usually kind of shy and reluctant to voice their opinions on
things. No I see them acting way more aggressively and acting like
whatever they think is the right way and that they know more than older
and more experienced people. So I am seeing this same behavior in at
least two different groups; right wing men and young people of both sexes.

Today it's not uncommon to see a 17 year old arguing with a 40 year old
over one thing or another. The young person doesn't defer to the older
or act as if they understand they older person has far more experience
than they do. Right wing men are doing the same thing. Uneducated
conservative males feel no compunctions about attacking, or denigrating
the views of far better educated liberals or anyone else. It's like the
uneducated and ill informed now feel cocky and arrogant in their views
and that they're equivalent to anyone's. It's like a high school
football player who thinks his views on the game are just as important
and as valuable as the views of pro players and pro coaches. They're
not, never have been, and never will be, but they are sure convinced
they are. It's like the Dunning-Kruger effect has infected a large part
of the population.

Hawke