Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default SOLVED: welding vent fan - shaded pole - how to trouble shoot

That's encouraging. And, thank you for sharing what worked.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"aribert neumann" wrote in message
I used lacquer thinner as my solvent. At first I tried dripping a few
drops down the motor shaft, spinning the shaft by hand, repeat for
about a dozen times, flip over and do the other side. Still felt like
the armature was spinning in STP or honey. I started dripping the
lacquer thinner down the oiling holes and after a while I could spin
by hand, release and get **a full rotation** before the armature
stopped spinning. Then I plugged it in and while running started
spraying in 3-in1 aerosol (originally posted it as Tri-Flow). Put an
optical tach on it and read 1700+ rpm (motor label says 1600 rpm). I
let it run w/o either of the squirrel cages attached while adding a
drop or two of air tool oil every few minutes until the motor can got
too hot to hold for more than seconds at a time. SHut it off, added
more oil during cool down and then ran it some more - all the while
adding a drop of oil every now and then. I have not seen any excess
oil dripping out - I'll leave it on the bench for a few days and maybe
add a few more drops before reassembling the motor into the housing.

Again - thanks for the replys. I am so looking forward to being
able to draw welding fumes out near the source rather than using the
furnace blower that I have set up to draw from a hole in the ceiling
(18 feet away from the welding table) and to vent out of the garage
gable. Using the big furnace blower can be a serious waste of heat in
the winter time.