Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Jim Thompson[_3_] Jim Thompson[_3_] is offline

Default Boost Converter Tutorial?

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 13:14:29 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John Fields" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 20:21:29 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in
message ...
On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 13:34:08 -0500, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 13:25:00 -0500, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

In the past I have designed boost converters in burst mode, with
peak
current control, but never with a PWM-controlled loop.

Outputs: +5 @ 25mA, -5V @ 20mA

Can someone point me to a tutorial?

Thanks!

[Don't point me to an off-the-shelf part. This has to go into a
_custom_ chip... just a little thing... 1mm x 25mm :-]

Hmm, an inch long and a millimeter wide--it's for a robotic
cockroach,
right?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Nope. It goes in something that virtually every person owns :-)

...Jim Thompson

So you decided to take someone's advice about what to do with your
design?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

This is but a small portion of the whole chip. As I said, I have no
experience (*) with PWM'd boost converters, though lots of those with
low output current, running burst mode (they have little or no
stability issues).

As Larkin would snark, If you've got something technical to say, then
say it, otherwise STFU :-{)

(*) Unlike some posters lurking here, I readily admit areas of which I
have little or no expertise. Then I listen, learn and ultimately
become the expert ;-)

Yeahbut you tried to cram a burst mode at one of my questions and I hadn't
even asked for a design.

---
Your "questions" are little more than trolls designed to attract and
focus attention on you and, since you asked for "help" and it was
offered and you rejected it, out of hand, you're an ingrate with an
agenda disparate from ours, which is to help.
---

It wasn't because burst mode was best for my app, it was because you
didn't
know PWM - not exactly honest was it.

---
If he didn't know PWM and offered you burst mode instead, why was that
dishonest at the time?

After all, he did the best he could, with what he had at hand, which
was better than anything you could come up with, since you were the
one asking for help.

Do try to pay attention sometimes!

All I asked for was load curves for bicycle dynamos.

I didn't ask anyone to design it for me - I already have that well in hand.

Well? Then show us how wonderful your design is.

I didn't reject the few (unsolicited) solutions from the minority of
smart-asses pretending to know more than they did - I just ignored them.

You "ignore" because you are "ignorant".

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |