Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default welding vent fan - shaded pole - how to trouble shoot

What comes to mind to me, is to flush out the motor with brake cleaner. I've
also used ether starting spray. Usual flammable cautions apply. Relube the
bearings with zoom spout turbine oil (ND-20 or ND-30 or two cycle mix oil
are acceptable). I've been known to also put a bit of graphite into the oil.
See if that helps.

A friend of mine has Nutone bathroom vent fan, that has taken a couple
dissembly and relube to get it right.

Please let us know how things work out.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"aribert neumann" wrote in message

Thanks All.

The motor is labeled 120v, 1600 rpm. I also thought the sleeve
bearings were dry / gummed up and I tried to lube them w/ some Tri-
Flow and also some air tool oil (its what I had on hand in my basement
where I dismantled the motor from the squirrel cage housing). When I
spin the shaft by hand, there is no obvious stiction but the effort
seemed to high and it stops rotating within 1/3 to 1/2 turn after I
release it. I did not think of using a solvent to try to wash the
bearing interface out. Do you all think that merely dripping solvent
into the oil lube access will eventually dissolve the varnish? Or
should I remove one of the motor end plates - this motor does not use
tie bolts - local slots in the motor can are staked to the end-plates
- just a bit more work to dismantle and reassemble.