Dan

Default dust collection options

(Jeff) wrote in message om...
I'm looking for opinions...
So I've been looking at my options... Think I've decided against a
shopvac because it's noisy and not as efficient at sucking dust.
Because my shop already feels small, I was thinking about a little DC
unit like this one:

but for only $50 more, this seems like a good deal:

Is that overkill for my little, hobbiest shop? I mean that monster
will take up a lot of room! I'm leaning toward the first one because
I don't think I make all that much dust... Any words of wisdom for
me?

I've got the 2HP (Okay, so it's not *really* a 2HP and it doesn't
*really* suck 1600 CFM but we all knew that.)
I like it. Takes up a little more room than a floor-model drill press
or a bandsaw. Rich is right, the bag is about as good as a flour sack
but then most of them are. I'm upgrading to a better one. Still a good
deal.

My garashop is about 19 by 20 though, so maybe it's space you need,
even if the big one is only 50 bucks more.

I think you need more choices. :-)
Don't know what tools you're using, but a lot of folks seem to get by
with a hefty duty shop vac. I did, for a long time, and it was just a
puny little no-name. LOUD little thing. But you can build a box out of
one sheet of plywood, carpet the whole inside with sound-deadening
stuff from the Borg (or whatever you can find - my friend gave me some
scraps), cut some holes for the hose, cord, and some more for the
exhaust, put some casters on it, and the little sucker will be a whole
lot easier to live with. A LOT easier. Plus you'll have a new mobile
work surface that takes up only a slightly smaller footprint than the
vac, and you'll never trip over the damthing either. I put some power
strips on it and it doubles as the stand for the planer and the
spindle sander.

Dan