Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Atlas Lathe

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

On 2012-02-13, Michael A. Terrell ? wrote:
?
? Jim Wilkins wrote:
??
?? "David Billington" ? wrote in message
?? ...
?? ? Michael A. Terrell wrote:
??
?? ?? How hard would it be to modify it to use a stepper or servo drive?
?? ?
?? ?? The last lathe I used was a worn out navy surplus lathe in high
?? ?? school.
??
?? Why?
??
?? The power longitudinal and cross feeds, if it has them, should still be good
?? enough to rough-turn stock close enough. If it's worn you may have to
?? manually finish diameters to measured size in short sections anyway.

The 6" Atlas won't have power feeds -- either axis (unless you
count using the leadscrew and half nuts). I'm not sure whether any of
the 12" or 10" Atlas machines ever had it or not.

Some South Bend lathes had it, some did not. My 12x24" Clausing
has both.

? I was just curious. I like to build things and it was just an idea
? for a project, someday.

Sounds good. If you get it as a project, you should be fine.
(You may have to have the bed re-ground, depending on how worn it
happens to be.)

That is yet to be determined.