Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
aribert neumann aribert neumann is offline

Default welding vent fan - shaded pole - how to trouble shoot

Thanks All.

The motor is labeled 120v, 1600 rpm. I also thought the sleeve
bearings were dry / gummed up and I tried to lube them w/ some Tri-
Flow and also some air tool oil (its what I had on hand in my basement
where I dismantled the motor from the squirrel cage housing). When I
spin the shaft by hand, there is no obvious stiction but the effort
seemed to high and it stops rotating within 1/3 to 1/2 turn after I
release it. I did not think of using a solvent to try to wash the
bearing interface out. Do you all think that merely dripping solvent
into the oil lube access will eventually dissolve the varnish? Or
should I remove one of the motor end plates - this motor does not use
tie bolts - local slots in the motor can are staked to the end-plates
- just a bit more work to dismantle and reassemble.