Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] grmiller@rogers.com is offline

Default OT- .410 pistol

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 13:06:02 -0600, "Snag" wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:
Watching Alaska State Troopers yesterday and saw
a .410 shotgun revolver. I didn't know such a
thing existed. So this raises an interesting
point. When does a pistol firing shotgun shells
become a sawed-off shotgun? Or when does a sawed-
off shotgun become a legal pistol?

If it started life as a pistol , it's legal . If it originally was a "long
gun" it cannot be converted to a pistol . If you add a shoulder stock , it
becomes a "long gun" and cannot be converted back . It will be illegal
unless you also lengthen the barrel . We did a lot of research on this , my
son accepted an AR type 5.56mm pistol in lieu of rent money (he's legal ...)
. He's going to leave it in the original configuration to avoid any chance
of legal hassles .

In a gun shop in New Brunswick I saw a long barreled revolver (.22 cal
IIRC) with a folding stock, very nice little piece.