Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Cleaning up an old table saw

Swingman wrote in
:

On 2/13/2012 3:08 PM, Han wrote:
Keith wrote in news:jhbpcv$hh3$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

On 2/13/2012 12:21 PM, Swingman wrote:
gs have changed since a ninth grade in 1957.

But they now graduate (at least those the graduate) have good self
esteem

English is my second language, can you please explain more clearly?
I really prefer Dutch, but that may be too much to ask ...

IOW, the idea in the education industry today that having "self
esteem" is more important in the current scheme of things than being
well educated, personally responsible, and achieving goals through
hard work and personal effort.

Often manifested by programs that include lowering testing standards
for certain groups, and the practice of rewarding everyone a prize,
instead of just those who excel because of an inherent talent and/or
hard work (like eliminating Valedictorians from high school
graduations) ... just a couple examples of the misguided nonsense of
the "self esteem" card being played in education today.

That is reprehensible, IMNSHO. If someone is smart and can learn easily,
that doesn't make him/her a good person. Everyone needs to get a chance,
and failure is something that should be taught too, if for nothing but a
little humility (DAMHIKT). BUT, and this is a big BUT, that doesn't mean
that good performance in any discipline or behavior shouldn't be
rewarded.

--
Best regards
Han