Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default welding vent fan - shaded pole - how to trouble shoot

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in
:

"aribert neumann" wrote in message
.
..
I picked up a used $10 Nutone 300 cfm vent fan that I want to use over
my welding table. THe problem is that the fan motor runs - slowly

Did it vent frying fumes? Cooking oil slowly polymerizes into
Linoleum. You might be able to salvage it by washing out the bearings
with solvent or it may need to be disassembled and scrubbed.

jsw

I'll second that. (well, Varnish, not Linoleum, which has paper fibers in
it, too G)

There's just not much that can go wrong with those shaded-pole motors.
Most are even "impedance protected", so they won't burn out even if
stalled.

For grins, try "lubricating" the bearings with an excess of a solvent-
based break-free like P-Blaster or Kroil. Try not to get it on the coil,
but let the excess run out of the bearings into a rag. After it soaks a
while, try the fan again, and when it finally runs free, lubricate it
with a light machine oil.

Hint. When you spin the fan by hand, it should turn so freely that it
will coast 15-20 turns on its own after you give it a flick. If it
doesn't, the bearings are gummed up.

I've repaired many the muffin fan with a few drops of xylene in the
bearings, followed by oil.

Lloyd