Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default Cleaning up an old table saw STEP 2 - Blade guard?

My application of wd-40, Scotch Brite and a little rotary wire brushing seems to have rendered most of the top serviceable. As per the tips here, I cleaned up the rusty goo with paint thinner, making several passes. I applied some paste wax because that's what I had handy, but I may try some of the specialized spray-on stuff later on. I may also use some naval jelly on the one really damaged edge of the right-hand "wing".

So here's the next problem. I have not yet found a blade guard anywhere near this saw. I think it may have come with one, so searching around may yet turn it up. But it certainly did not have a "riving knife", if that's the right term.

I remember being taught about kickback in high school; mostly the stern admonition never to be in the path of the wood. I've done just a little bit of research, and I'm wondering what the knowledgeable folks here think would be a reasonable and cost effective solution.

2 products from Micro-Jig look interesting, at least to my untutored eye. They make two different splitters (although I'd also have to buy a zero-clearance insert) and their "Grr-ripper" (silly name, IMO). I'm sure there are dozens of others. I'm looking for safety and ease of use for reasonable cost; cost commensurate with my intermittent woodworking.