searcher1

Default dust collection options

The 2 HP is the one that I "wood" (lame joke there) choose, however the
particle removal is only down to 30 microns. Also having a basement woodshop
I have major dust problems. I have been able to reduce my dust by doing
several things.

1) I made a sanding table. a 2'x2'x4" box top is pegboard bottom is 1/4"
plywood I cut a hole the size of my vac hose. Now when I sand the vac sucks
up most of the dust.
This can be noisy, yes but I bought a "quieter" vac.Also I bought a hepa
filter for the vac.

2) I used an old box fan and mounted it on the ceiling raftors, attached to
the fan is a furnace filter wrapped in cheese cloth. This helps filter the
ambient air. and works very well for a cheap trick.

Now instead of having heavy dust accumulation on everything it's down to a
minimum whereas I was cleaning fine dust everyday now I only have to do it
once a week, I do however have to vaccum the filter on the fan, but I figure
in the filter, NOT in my lungs. Wearing those respirators is very cumbersome
as I wear glasses.
I know these ideas are cheapees but they work and until I can afford a
better shop with ventilation these will do.These are not my ideas I searched
the web and got them.

On the plus side a better shop is in the works the place we are looking
to buy has a great big modern 2 story barn. one big exhaust fan should do
the trick!

Rich

"Jeff" wrote in message
m...
I'm looking for opinions...
I just moved into a new apt that has a basement (shop). I've got a
nice sturdy bench, cheapy bench saw and various other tools (ROS being
the worst dust maker). I plan on getting some other stationary tools
and possibly replacing the table saw with a decent one soon. No
jointer or planer yet.

The shop is about 12'x12' with very low (6'5") ceilings. My last
workshop was a porch, so i didn't worry about dust collection at all.
But my new shop is already covered in dust, and my lungs and throat
don't appreciate it either.

So I've been looking at my options... Think I've decided against a
shopvac because it's noisy and not as efficient at sucking dust.
Because my shop already feels small, I was thinking about a little DC
unit like this one:

but for only $50 more, this seems like a good deal:

Is that overkill for my little, hobbiest shop? I mean that monster
will take up a lot of room! I'm leaning toward the first one because
I don't think I make all that much dust... Any words of wisdom for
me?

Thanks