Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

Default Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems

Ian Jackson wrote:

The word, of course, should have been 'morale'. I'm sure that, even
during the war, British morals remained impeccable!

After a week of not sleeping more than a few hours a nght, I really
don't care about an ocassional typo. Try it sometime, laying in bed in
pain all night and never going to sleep.

TV broadcasting didn't resume until 1946 - a year after VE Day.

After the war, it took a long time for life in Britain to get back
normal. We were constantly being reminded of austerity and deprivation.
For example, lots of things were rationed, and de-rationing didn't begin
until 1948. I believe that certain things which has escaped rationing
during the war were actually rationed after it ended. I remember sweets
coming 'off the ration' in 1953. Meat was the last, in 1954. In 1951, we
had the Festival of Britain, which was intended to boost both morale and
the economy, and a lavish coronation in 1953.

I expect that the resumption of the TV service with a Mickey Mouse
cartoon also helped to cheer us up - even though, at the time, it would
only be seen by a handful of people in the London area. It could be that
the urban legend which followed was actually more effective than the
broadcast itself.