Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

Default Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems

In article ,
says...

David Looser wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote:

hwh wrote:
On 2/5/12 7:04 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
But you've got to remember that this is the country that kept 405-line
going for, I think, longer after 625 started than it had been going
before that.

Erm, 405 started before the war and was alone until 1964? Then it
continued for another 20 years?

Someone said the last two years of 405 line signals were generated by an
unusal
method, I think the word they used was "endearing". What was it?

BTW, the BBC shut down TV broadcasts in for World War II, and resumed
them at the exact point in the same broadcast after the war. :-)

That's very easy to do with film. I should know. I loaded and ran
truckloads of 16 mm film on a pair of RCA TP66 projectors in the '70s.

I'm sure it is, but as we've already established that the "exact point in
the same broadcast" bit isn't true its not relevant.

The myth that the engineers simply ceased transmission half-way through a
programme and left the station like a sort of Mary Celeste has been
widespread, but it is a myth. In fact there was an orderly shut down and the
film in the machines would have been rewound and put into storage before the
staff left. It would have been 35mm film (the BBC didn't have facilities for
transmitting from 16mm film pre-war) and thus on nitrate stock. NOT putting
it into proper storage would have constituted a fire hazard and been in
contravention of fire regulations.

It still would have been no problem to load and start it at exactly
the same frame, if they had wanted to.

All hypothetical. As David said earlier, it is a myth that transmission
was cut in the middle of the cartoon. Station logs exist that say
different.

Another myth is that the Television Service resumed in 1946 with the
same cartoon. It didn't!

The cartoon WAS repeated that day - but it wasn't the first programme.

--

Terry
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

They were a dollar. This isn't the same as what I saw, but it will
give you some idea:

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/255041326/DZ_909A_6_way_power_outlet_with.jpg
since the meter was next to the power switch and cord.

That's what we'd call a trailing socket. To be used with an extension
lead. I thought you meant permanently installed sockets. But perhaps you
can't tell the difference.

It look like it would also accept other than the UK 13 amp plug - which is
why some tourists might buy it. It doesn't conform to UK regs.

--
*Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

Don Pearce wrote:

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 16:30:25 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

David Looser wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

J G Miller wrote:

All because of the perceived need to produce weapons of mutual
annihilation.

We wouldn't need to do it, if you Europeans would stop starting World
Wars.

According to the history books the US entered WW2 because it was attacked by
the Japanese. It seems that Michael A. Terrell thinks that Japan is in
Europe.

Sigh. America was supplying AKA: LENDING planes and other war
materials to help Europe clean up their mess, long before Japan attacked
Pearl Harbor. Is the school system really that bad where you grew up?

I hope you are not imagining that America did that from anything other
than good, solid self-interst.

Sigh. No, they did it because they know that you Europeans never
could play together without starting stupid fight. What better reason
did we have to stop the production of civilian goods in the US and build
weapons for you losers to kill each other?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

David Looser wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

They were a dollar. This isn't the same as what I saw, but it will
give you some idea:
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/255041326/DZ_909A_6_way_power_outlet_with.jpg
since the meter was next to the power switch and cord.

Right. You started all this by refering to European sockets which had to be
installed in equipment racks. So I naturally assumed that you were talking
about UK specific installation sockets being sold in flea markets in the US.

But now I realise that you are talking about plug-in extention sockets, and
I notice from the photo that that one has "universal" sockets that will
accept US and a variety of European plugs as well as UK ones. Personally I
wouldn't touch one of those with a barge-pole. Those sort of "universal"
sockets rarely make good contact whilst the meter is clearly for show, it
would tell you nothing useful. I'm sure it would not be legal to sell those
here as the sockets appear not to have shutters, which probably explains why
I've not seen one.

I wouldn't touch one, even if I needed the voltmeter.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

Ian Jackson wrote:

In message , Michael A.
Terrell writes

Do you know that the channel combiners in a CATV head end
were wired in odd and even banks, on separate groups to prevent IMD
caused in the passive mixing?

It might have depended on whose combiners you were using.

I hadn't heard about this so, one day (it must have been back in the
80s), I decided to do a quick test to see if it was true. To be honest,
I don't think I saw much difference whichever way I grouped the
channels. From what I remember, with the modulators putting each out
60dBmV, all the intermod products were at least 85dB down, and were
rather difficult to measure quickly. Such low levels of intermod would
have had a negligible impact on the overall system performance.

How many channels and at what signal levels did you try it on? We
had seven six port combiners in two groups of eight for a 36 channel
headend. The six outputs were combined in the seventh unit and
amplified before leaving the building. It did help in some
installations, where HSP were used for off air processing and for
stations who would push their character generators to over 100%
modulation from affecting other channels.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

Terry Casey wrote:

In article ,
says...

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote:

hwh wrote:
[...]

Does it matter? Were you alive to see it, and in their service
area? I wasn't and I wasn't. I was a TV broadcast engineer at three US
TV stations from the early '70s to the late '80s. I started with
monochrome and film, and ended up with 1" Sony color VTRS & RCA TK46A
cameras feeding a 5 MW EIRP antenna 1700+ feet AAT.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

They were a dollar. This isn't the same as what I saw, but it will
give you some idea:

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/255041326/DZ_909A_6_way_power_outlet_with.jpg
since the meter was next to the power switch and cord.

That's what we'd call a trailing socket. To be used with an extension
lead. I thought you meant permanently installed sockets. But perhaps you
can't tell the difference.

Perhaps you just like to start fights. We wanted to use Wiremold
Plugmold type steel power strips made for relay racks, but the ESA
wanted individual outlets mounted on metal boxes inside the racks which
wasted a lot of space so we used what they shipped us.

It look like it would also accept other than the UK 13 amp plug - which is
why some tourists might buy it. It doesn't conform to UK regs.

I never said it did. That's why I thought that it was funny to see
them buy a bunch of them, and walk away like they had won a huge prize.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

In message ,
Terry Casey writes
In article ,
says...

In message , Arny Krueger
writes

"Terry Casey" wrote in message

A couple of questions regarding that list:

Why is the HRC channel spacing offset[1] by 300Hz - 6.0003MHz instead of
6MHz?

I don't know.

I recall once specially tweaking a UK 8MHz HRC harmonic comb generator
(to which all of the TV channels were locked). It was a little above (or
was it below?) 8MHz. There was a reason for this, but at the moment, I
can't remember what it was.

One system where this was done was the old BT Westminster system -
probably very useful in an area where I would expect a lot of off-air
reception problems.

Same lot, in the land of the concrete cows and a thousand roundabouts.
;o))

I don't know what offset they used but, as an example, if you alter the
comb to 7.990963855MHz, channel E45 is bang on (663.25MHz) so, if you
centred the five off-airs around this using E41, E43, E45, E47 and E49,
the worst case error will be +/-36kHz from the nominal frequency.

Ah yes. That's certainly one of the reasons for using a weird reference
frequency. I recall that certain systems insisted that the four set-top
bypass channels had to be close to the standard off-air broadcast
channels, because some TV sets would not tune to anything but these.
Almost certainly this is what I was involved in.

But wasn't it at the same place which ingeniously used a not-quite-8MHz
comb reference which was actually derived from one of the UHF off-air
channels? As the headend equipment was largely supplied by the 'other'
company, I doubt if I would have been involved with tinkering with it
(although I'm pretty sure that I did swap one or two of the modulator
SAW filters because of the problems which arose when NICAM started).
Maybe 'my' comb generator was a replacement.
--
Ian
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

In message , Michael A.
Terrell writes

Terry Casey wrote:

In article ,
says...

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote:

hwh wrote:
[...]

I'm sure that that the point being made was that despite all that had
happened to Britain since 1939, we were now picking up the pieces,
continuing where we had left off, and getting back to business as usual.
Even if it didn't quite happen as reported, there is no doubt that the
popular version of the story would have been good for moral.
--
Ian

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

[...]

They would have to be very unusual TV sets!

It was more likely to be, in the case of Westminster, that, when CATV
systems rarely went above 600MHz, there was nowhere else to put them,
coupled with the fact that the off-air channels were left clear, so it
was convenient utilise to this for the n + 2 arrangement by straddling
the otherwise blank off-air allocation.

A comb of 7.988636364MHz would allow E25, E27, E29 and E31 to be used
with +/-34kHz error (off-airs being 23, 26, 30 & 33)

Of course, this was all long before the Channel 5 debacle - I can't see
a way of interleaving 5 channels around Crystal Palace without involving
the allegedly taboo n + 5 scenario - although I've never seen a problem
with any set I used directly connected to a CATV network

But wasn't it at the same place which ingeniously used a not-quite-8MHz
comb reference which was actually derived from one of the UHF off-air
channels?

Well, dividing E26 by 64 or E30 by 68 would do the trick. I based my
comb frequency on E28, being the centre channel but an off-air lock
would certainly produce a very stable result, and the offsets would
still be reasonable - +58/-11kHz or +11/-58kHz, depending on choice of
off air channel.

As the headend equipment was largely supplied by the 'other'
company, I doubt if I would have been involved with tinkering with it
(although I'm pretty sure that I did swap one or two of the modulator
SAW filters because of the problems which arose when NICAM started).
Maybe 'my' comb generator was a replacement.

My involvement with the Westminster system was at the time of the DTV
roll-out (or possibly Broadband Internet, I can't remember which) which
coincided with the transfer of the system from BT to ntl, so I never saw
the BT headend but I did see the documentation related to it, complete
with frequency details.

--

Terry
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

In message ,
Terry Casey writes
In article ,
says...

I recall that certain systems insisted that the four set-top
bypass channels had to be close to the standard off-air broadcast
channels, because some TV sets would not tune to anything but these.

They would have to be very unusual TV sets!

I don't know about 'unusual', but they were a problem. I think there
were only couple of budget brands which only tuned 'spot-on' to the UHF
channels (xxx.25MHz, in 8MHz steps). One might ask indeed "Why would you
need them to do otherwise?" Of course, even our cable set-top boxes
could normally only tune in 125kHz steps, but at least that got you to
within +/-63kHz of the correct frequency - and that was more than close
enough.

It was more likely to be, in the case of Westminster, that, when CATV
systems rarely went above 600MHz, there was nowhere else to put them,
coupled with the fact that the off-air channels were left clear, so it
was convenient utilise to this for the n + 2 arrangement by straddling
the otherwise blank off-air allocation.

A comb of 7.988636364MHz would allow E25, E27, E29 and E31 to be used
with +/-34kHz error (off-airs being 23, 26, 30 & 33)

Of course, this was all long before the Channel 5 debacle - I can't see
a way of interleaving 5 channels around Crystal Palace without involving
the allegedly taboo n + 5 scenario - although I've never seen a problem
with any set I used directly connected to a CATV network

Sets generally seemed to improve a lot in later years. I think that the
change of IF from 39.5MHz to the European 38.9MHz made quite a
difference to N+/- problems. What surprises me is how well some sets
could tolerate having direct inputs of 48+ channels (without them going
through the converter UHF bypass filtering). Certainly, in the olden
days, when faced with more than half a dozen channels, some sets tended
to sag a bit at the knees.

But, as you have said, there used to be so many embargoed channels on a
cable TV system - no adjacent, no N+/-5, no N+/-9, no sums or
differences (with single-ended amplifiers) etc. It's a wonder anyone was
able to get more than two or three channels!

But wasn't it at the same place which ingeniously used a not-quite-8MHz
comb reference which was actually derived from one of the UHF off-air
channels?

Well, dividing E26 by 64 or E30 by 68 would do the trick. I based my
comb frequency on E28, being the centre channel but an off-air lock
would certainly produce a very stable result, and the offsets would
still be reasonable - +58/-11kHz or +11/-58kHz, depending on choice of
off air channel.

If this is what they did, they could have used either of those channels
from Crystal Palace. Next time I see him, I'll ask the man who will
almost certainly know (if I remember!).

As the headend equipment was largely supplied by the 'other'
company, I doubt if I would have been involved with tinkering with it
(although I'm pretty sure that I did swap one or two of the modulator
SAW filters because of the problems which arose when NICAM started).
Maybe 'my' comb generator was a replacement.

My involvement with the Westminster system was at the time of the DTV
roll-out (or possibly Broadband Internet, I can't remember which) which
coincided with the transfer of the system from BT to ntl, so I never saw
the BT headend but I did see the documentation related to it, complete
with frequency details.

I had little to do with the system in London (I think I only went there
once - underground, near Shepherds Bush IIRC). As I said, my involvement
was among the concrete cows and the roundabouts.
--
Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote in message

American wiring plus wooden houses... jeez.

All things considered it works very well, at a cost in copper.

My estimated death rate in the UK due to all fires was about 0.8 per
100,000 in the last year for which I have reports, and was (2006) and 0.96
in the US (2007)

I have not yet been able to get an exact comparison of death rate due to
structure fires in the same year but US homes are not the death traps that
seems to be suggested above.

US's death rate due to structure fires continues to be declining rapidly for
new buildings every year, of which we are still building quite a few. The UK
is also enjoying improvements in this area, but with slower rates of
improvement and probably lower rates of new construction. Both the UK and
the US show disappointing results for structures built in the 1950s and
1960s.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
Arny Krueger wrote:

One point - this Nazi development (never a practical tool of war) was a
fighter not a bomber. Even in more modern times developing a stealth
bomber
was far more difficult and there was a delay of many years between the
first stealth fighter and the first stealth bomber.

How big a bomber and how unpractical a tool of war is a fighter sized
airplane that can't be seen until you are 20 miles off the coast and it's
carrying an atomic bomb?

Given the lack of effectiveness of bomb sighting and delivery in those days,
you needed a lot of big bombers to do any strategic damage at all.

The distance from the coast to London is 92 miles so it needs to go 112
miles to drop the bomb directly on London. If it was travelling 100 mph,
that would take enough time for it to be noticed and if a fighter got
lucky,
it would be shot down visually.

I thought we were talking about Germany bombing the US.

The cargo load of the airplane was about 2000 pounds, about 1/5 of the
size
of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki (fat man and little boy) bombs, but that
does
not mean that someone could of built an atomic bomb that would fit the
weight
critera if one did not care to survive the construction of the bomb and
the
flight.

I now of no evidence that care taken during construction the shielding of
the bomb while being delivered was making the bombs that big and heavy. I'm
under the impression that most of the gains that were made in minaturizing
atomic bombs had to do with the design of the mechanism.

After all how much size or weight in shielding do you have on an A-Bomb that
you can fire with a mortar or a bazooka?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_weapons_delivery

"Other potential delivery methods include artillery shells, mines such as
the Medium Atomic Demolition Munition and the (very odd) Blue Peacock, and
nuclear depth charges, and nuclear torpedoes. An atomic mortar was also
tested. Even an 'Atomic Bazooka' was designed to be used against large
formations of tanks."

More may be known about comparable Russian weapons because of the break down
of the Soviet military:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suitcase_nuke

"These devices, "identified as RA-115s (or RA-115-01s for submersible
weapons)" weigh from fifty to sixty pounds."

While the active materials in an A-bomb are radioactive, they aren't all
that radioactive until they become a critical mass.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Peter Larsen" wrote in message
k...
Ron wrote:

Surely you remember analogue TV Arny, it's when we had five
channels
of rubbish, now we have 900 channels and it's still rubbish

What's TV?

Something that can actually be enjoyable, useful and even a bit
educational,
managed well.

A capacious 2 channel DVR is a big help.

An internet ready BluRay is better. A lot of free TV via the
internet including classic movies, comedy and Sci-Fi.

We have the hardware for both. After experiencing a hands-on unfettered
comparison of the two for about a year, we kept the DVR and terminated
the
Internet service for the BluRay, but kept the stream of rental BD discs.

The BluRay was a one time investment of $80. Since I already have
broadband, there is no monthly fee. No need for a credit card, or trips
to one of the few remaining video stores, or to try to find something
worth watching in a 'Redbox'.

If you are obtaining current movies for just the cost of broadband, then you
are not paying the usual fees for viewing copyrighted materials. The
morality of that is up to you, but its not a fair comparison.

In the US the usual fee for obtaining a fairly current movie over broadband
is about $5 each. Netflix over broadband is more like $9 per month, but the
catalog is severely limited, both in terms of movies and also TV shows.

Redbox is the price/performance winner around here, and their nearest
machine is within easy driving or biking distance.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

"Terry Casey" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

"Terry Casey" wrote in message
In article ,
lid says...

[1] UK cable systems mostly use HRC at 8MHz spacing but this is
sometimes varied by a carefully calculated amount so that one block of
UHF channels coincides almost exactly with the broadcast frequencies.
This is done on systems with a by-pass facility to allow a few
channels
- usually the local off-airs - to be fed directly to the TV giving the
subscriber direct access from the TV without needing an aerial.

Obviously this block of channels has to be chosen so as not to
conflict
with local transmitters, so the offset will vary from system to system
and can't be fixed as in the US table

In case it isn't clear, I should have pointed out that normal cable
reception is via a set top box and, of course, I was referring to
analogue systems ...

The advent of TV sets that could tune the cable channels all by
themselves
was a game changer.

They are used on the continental cable systems but never have been in
the UK. Possibly because there is much more encrypted subscription
content?

We have TVs that will show encrypted content. They have a slot for a
"Cablecard" which is a decrypter that is supplied by the content provider
(cable company). AFAIK cable company DVRs have two Cablecards inside the
box, and they are available for installation in PCs.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

In message ,
Terry Casey writes:
[]
Not a bomber - it would have been the A10 rocket.

The A10 was a prosed development of the A4 rocket that was the basis
for the V2 bombs that fell on London (as opposed to the jet engined V1
flying bomb known colloquially as the 'doodlebug' - I think the US term
is buzz-bomb).

To bring this back 'on course' - at least, for uk.tech.broadcast readers
- the A10 rocket is mentioned in this historic article:

http://lakdiva.org/clarke/1945ww/194...t_305-308.html

And there was a film - 1970s I think - very loosely based on it. If I
saw it now, I'd probably cringe at all sorts of errors in it, but I
remember enjoying it _as a film_, then. I think it might have been
"Operation Crossbow" - CBA to check.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

All I ask is to _prove_ that money can't make me happy.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

In article ,
says...

In message ,
Terry Casey writes:
[]
Not a bomber - it would have been the A10 rocket.

The A10 was a prosed development of the A4 rocket that was the basis
for the V2 bombs that fell on London (as opposed to the jet engined V1
flying bomb known colloquially as the 'doodlebug' - I think the US term
is buzz-bomb).

To bring this back 'on course' - at least, for uk.tech.broadcast readers
- the A10 rocket is mentioned in this historic article:

http://lakdiva.org/clarke/1945ww/194...t_305-308.html

And there was a film - 1970s I think - very loosely based on it. If I
saw it now, I'd probably cringe at all sorts of errors in it, but I
remember enjoying it _as a film_, then. I think it might have been
"Operation Crossbow" - CBA to check.

1965, I think you'll find. The rocket in the film was supposed to be a
successor to the V2 and I'm sure that it is referred to as the V3 in the
film although, as I later found out, the V3 was a multi-barrelled high
velocity cannon, the site of which I've since visited.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortress_of_Mimoyecques

--

Terry
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

Ron wrote:

[...]

What morality? Sony owns the copyrights for the movies that they run
on 'Crackle'. I never said I was watching 'current movies'. On the
extremly rare chance that something cmes out I'll eiter watch it at a
theater, or buy the disk. Thre have been two 'current movies' in the
last 12 years that I wanted to see.

In the US the usual fee for obtaining a fairly current movie over broadband
is about $5 each. Netflix over broadband is more like $9 per month, but the
catalog is severely limited, both in terms of movies and also TV shows.

Not everyone is addicted to the latest Hollywood drivel. I 'watch'
about 10-15 hours a week and a lot of that is local news. When I do
watch more, it's when I'm too ill to do aything else.

Redbox is the price/performance winner around here, and their nearest
machine is within easy driving or biking distance.

Good for you. The nearest Redbox is about three miles, but I've
never seen a title I wanted to watch.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

Ian Jackson wrote:

In message , Michael A.
Terrell writes

Terry Casey wrote:

In article ,
says...

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote:

hwh wrote:
[...]

Or an attempt to raise the moral of the citizens after VE day?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

In message , Michael A.
Terrell writes

Ian Jackson wrote:

In message , Michael A.
Terrell writes

Terry Casey wrote:

In article ,
says...

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote:

hwh wrote:
[...]

The word, of course, should have been 'morale'. I'm sure that, even
during the war, British morals remained impeccable!

TV broadcasting didn't resume until 1946 - a year after VE Day.

After the war, it took a long time for life in Britain to get back
normal. We were constantly being reminded of austerity and deprivation.
For example, lots of things were rationed, and de-rationing didn't begin
until 1948. I believe that certain things which has escaped rationing
during the war were actually rationed after it ended. I remember sweets
coming 'off the ration' in 1953. Meat was the last, in 1954. In 1951, we
had the Festival of Britain, which was intended to boost both morale and
the economy, and a lavish coronation in 1953.

I expect that the resumption of the TV service with a Mickey Mouse
cartoon also helped to cheer us up - even though, at the time, it would
only be seen by a handful of people in the London area. It could be that
the urban legend which followed was actually more effective than the
broadcast itself.
--
Ian
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

"Morality" refers to correct behavior -- not just sexual behavior.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

On Saturday, February 11th, 2012, at 08:57:40h +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

I'm sure that, even during the war, British morals remained impeccable!

Actually, and not surprisingly, you will find that morals in the
UKofGB&NI deteroriated badly during the war.

In Ipswich in 1943, an increasing number of complaints were received
about air raid shelters being used for €œimmoral purposes".
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 14:42:41 +0000 (UTC), J G Miller
wrote:

On Saturday, February 11th, 2012, at 08:57:40h +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

I'm sure that, even during the war, British morals remained impeccable!

Actually, and not surprisingly, you will find that morals in the
UKofGB&NI deteroriated badly during the war.

In Ipswich in 1943, an increasing number of complaints were received
about air raid shelters being used for €œimmoral purposes".

I don't suppose they were any good for much else. And since when was
sex immoral?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

wrote:

On Saturday, February 11th, 2012, at 08:57:40h +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

I'm sure that, even during the war, British morals remained impeccable!

Actually, and not surprisingly, you will find that morals in the
UKofGB&NI deteroriated badly during the war.

In Ipswich in 1943, an increasing number of complaints were received
about air raid shelters being used for ?oimmoral purposes".

I don't suppose they were any good for much else. And since when was
sex immoral?

Indeed, I was going to ask J G Miller what he meant by "morals". Its
certainly the case that both World Wars created significant social change
including liberating women from many of the social restrictions that they
had previously suffered from. If J G Miller thinks that giving women more
independence equates to "morals deteriorating badly" then maybe he has a
point!

David.
..

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

In message , J G Miller
writes
On Saturday, February 11th, 2012, at 08:57:40h +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

I'm sure that, even during the war, British morals remained impeccable!

Actually, and not surprisingly, you will find that morals in the
UKofGB&NI deteroriated badly during the war.

In Ipswich in 1943, an increasing number of complaints were received
about air raid shelters being used for €œimmoral purposes".

And, where still accessible, they probably also continued to be used for
immoral purposes for a long time after the war. And pillboxes.
--
Ian
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast
Ron Ron is offline

On 11/02/2012 14:53, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , J G Miller
writes
On Saturday, February 11th, 2012, at 08:57:40h +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

I'm sure that, even during the war, British morals remained impeccable!

Actually, and not surprisingly, you will find that morals in the
UKofGB&NI deteroriated badly during the war.

In Ipswich in 1943, an increasing number of complaints were received
about air raid shelters being used for €œimmoral purposes".

And, where still accessible, they probably also continued to be used for
immoral purposes for a long time after the war. And pillboxes.

Certainly into the 60's erm... oops!

Ron
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

Ian Jackson wrote:

The word, of course, should have been 'morale'. I'm sure that, even
during the war, British morals remained impeccable!

After a week of not sleeping more than a few hours a nght, I really
don't care about an ocassional typo. Try it sometime, laying in bed in
pain all night and never going to sleep.

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 06:15:48 -0800, William Sommerwerck wrote:

"Morality" refers to correct behavior -- not just sexual behavior.

Indeed so, and there was a marked increase in behavior which was not
correct during WW2, eg the black market.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

On Saturday, February 11th, 2012, at 14:53:06h +0000,
David Looser propagated this red herring:

If J G Miller thinks that giving women more independence equates
to "morals deteriorating badly" then maybe he has a point!

Have you stopped beating your wife?

Your attempt at linking two totally unrelated issues is nothing
less than disingenuous and ill-considered.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

On Saturday, February 11th, 2012, at 15:08:19h +0000, Terry Casey wrote:

Perhaps Ian forgot the smiley when he wrote that? ;-)

Or maybe he was confusing morals and morale?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

"J G Miller" wrote in message
On Saturday, February 11th, 2012, at 14:53:06h +0000,
David Looser propagated this red herring:

If J G Miller thinks that giving women more independence equates
to "morals deteriorating badly" then maybe he has a point!

Have you stopped beating your wife?

Your attempt at linking two totally unrelated issues is nothing
less than disingenuous and ill-considered.

There are *far* from being unrelated! A sexual act takes two, and usually
one is a woman. The social effect of WW2 gave women the freedom to engage in
such sexual behaviour as well as many other freedoms.

It is your attempt to deny the link that is "disingenuous and
ill-considered".

David.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

Arny Krueger wrote:

[...]

We were, but you had said that a single small airplane would not be a
practical tool of war, and I was refuting that. IMHO a single stealth
airplane, seeming appearing out of nowhere 10 minutes from London
with an atomic bomb would have been a very practical tool of war.

Especially if the US public was led to believe that there was another
one headed for the east coast of the US, for example New York City,
Boston, Washington DC, etc.

Or if there were two such airplanes, one hitting New York from Europe
and one hitting L.A. from "Japan" (not directly, obviously), that would
have been the end of the war.

IMHO one of the big reasons that Japan surrendered after the second
atomic bombing was that they were unaware there was no fourth bomb, the
first having been set of on US soil.

If (again speculation) the US had not invaded Europe in June of 1944,
my original comment, and the Luftwaffe had both a stealth bomber and atomic
bombs to drop from it, the war would of turned out differently.

As for Germany stopping its atomic bomb development program in 1942, how many
times did Saddam Huesein start his and Iran stop theirs in the last 20 years?

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote

IMHO one of the big reasons that Japan surrendered after the second
atomic bombing was that they were unaware there was no fourth bomb, the
first having been set of on US soil.

You were privy to the deliberations of the Japanese government? I'm
impressed!

If (again speculation) the US had not invaded Europe in June of 1944,
my original comment, and the Luftwaffe had both a stealth bomber and
atomic
bombs to drop from it, the war would of turned out differently.

An awful lot of "ifs" there!

As for Germany stopping its atomic bomb development program in 1942, how
many
times did Saddam Huesein start his and Iran stop theirs in the last 20
years?

The US threw enormous recourses at building an atomic bomb, recourses that
Germany simply didn't have in 1944. They didn't have the recourses to build
a transatlantic stealth bomber either. The fighter (which of course never
saw action) was no more than a concept demonstrator, it didn't have the
range to reach the UK let alone the US, nor did it have the load-carrying
capability to carry an atomic bomb. How long would it have taken Germany,
already coming under serious pressure from the Red Army and seriously short
of fuel, materials and manpower to develop both?

David.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 13:48:09 +0000 (UTC), J G Miller
wrote:

With the switch off of analog TV, all TV transmissions in Germany
are now on UHF channels. In Western Europe, only Danmark and
Letzebuerg have transmitters with DVB-t on VHF Band III.

Sweden use DVB-T2 on VHF Band III in some areas for HDTV.
http://www.dvb.org/about_dvb/dvb_worldwide/sweden/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

David Looser wrote:

You were privy to the deliberations of the Japanese government? I'm
impressed!

Oh, come on. I said IMHO, and it was exactly that, an opionon of someone
born after the war, commenting in 2012 what they did in 1945.

An awful lot of "ifs" there!

Yes, that's why it's speculaton.

The US threw enormous recourses at building an atomic bomb, recourses that
Germany simply didn't have in 1944. They didn't have the recourses to build
a transatlantic stealth bomber either. The fighter (which of course never
saw action) was no more than a concept demonstrator, it didn't have the
range to reach the UK let alone the US, nor did it have the load-carrying
capability to carry an atomic bomb. How long would it have taken Germany,
already coming under serious pressure from the Red Army and seriously short
of fuel, materials and manpower to develop both?

I have no idea. What we do know is that the US accomplished most of it
through "brute force" (my words) by throwing enormous recourses (your words)
at it.

Germany may not of had the resources, but they may of had better scientists.
They certainly were years ahead of the Allies in rocket science.

As long as we are speculating, I started this with the timing of the US
invasion of occupied France, June 6, 1944, and saying that things would
of turned out differently if it had occured a year or two later. Care
to speculate on what the Soviet Army would of done too?

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
I have no idea. What we do know is that the US accomplished most of it
through "brute force" (my words) by throwing enormous recourses (your words)
at it.

Germany may not of had the resources, but they may of had better scientists.
They certainly were years ahead of the Allies in rocket science.

While we're correcting spelling that's "have had", not "of had". Grin

As long as we are speculating, I started this with the timing of the US
invasion of occupied France, June 6, 1944, and saying that things would
of turned out differently if it had occured a year or two later. Care
to speculate on what the Soviet Army would of done too?

"Would have", or "would've" if we're being informal.

Isn't there a usenet rule that when you start correcting grammar or
spelling errors, you always make at least one of you own?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

In article ,
says...

As long as we are speculating, I started this with the timing of the US
invasion of occupied France, June 6, 1944 ...

Is that what it says in American history books?

I think you will find that it was an Allied invasion ...

--

Terry