Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast
Terry Casey Terry Casey is offline

Default Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems

In article ,
says...

In message ,
Terry Casey writes
In article ,
says...

I recall that certain systems insisted that the four set-top
bypass channels had to be close to the standard off-air broadcast
channels, because some TV sets would not tune to anything but these.

They would have to be very unusual TV sets!

I don't know about 'unusual', but they were a problem. I think there
were only couple of budget brands which only tuned 'spot-on' to the UHF
channels (xxx.25MHz, in 8MHz steps). One might ask indeed "Why would you
need them to do otherwise?" Of course, even our cable set-top boxes
could normally only tune in 125kHz steps, but at least that got you to
within +/-63kHz of the correct frequency - and that was more than close
enough.

Apologies - I misread what you wrote!

I thought you wrote "the four set-top bypass channels had to be close to
the LOCAL off-air broadcast channels ..."

I had little to do with the system in London (I think I only went there
once - underground, near Shepherds Bush IIRC).

As I said, I didn't actually visit the headend. All of our equipment was
in a room in the basement of a large block not far from Marble Arch
IIRC. Obviously, the headend couldn't have been far away ...

--

Terry