Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

Default Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems

"Terry Casey" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

"Terry Casey" wrote in message
In article ,
lid says...

[1] UK cable systems mostly use HRC at 8MHz spacing but this is
sometimes varied by a carefully calculated amount so that one block of
UHF channels coincides almost exactly with the broadcast frequencies.
This is done on systems with a by-pass facility to allow a few
channels
- usually the local off-airs - to be fed directly to the TV giving the
subscriber direct access from the TV without needing an aerial.

Obviously this block of channels has to be chosen so as not to
conflict
with local transmitters, so the offset will vary from system to system
and can't be fixed as in the US table

In case it isn't clear, I should have pointed out that normal cable
reception is via a set top box and, of course, I was referring to
analogue systems ...

The advent of TV sets that could tune the cable channels all by
themselves
was a game changer.

They are used on the continental cable systems but never have been in
the UK. Possibly because there is much more encrypted subscription
content?

We have TVs that will show encrypted content. They have a slot for a
"Cablecard" which is a decrypter that is supplied by the content provider
(cable company). AFAIK cable company DVRs have two Cablecards inside the
box, and they are available for installation in PCs.