Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast
Terry Casey Terry Casey is offline

Default Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems

In article ,
says...

In message ,
Terry Casey writes
In article ,
says...

In message , Arny Krueger
writes

"Terry Casey" wrote in message

A couple of questions regarding that list:

Why is the HRC channel spacing offset[1] by 300Hz - 6.0003MHz instead of
6MHz?

I don't know.

I recall once specially tweaking a UK 8MHz HRC harmonic comb generator
(to which all of the TV channels were locked). It was a little above (or
was it below?) 8MHz. There was a reason for this, but at the moment, I
can't remember what it was.

One system where this was done was the old BT Westminster system -
probably very useful in an area where I would expect a lot of off-air
reception problems.

Same lot, in the land of the concrete cows and a thousand roundabouts.
;o))

I don't know what offset they used but, as an example, if you alter the
comb to 7.990963855MHz, channel E45 is bang on (663.25MHz) so, if you
centred the five off-airs around this using E41, E43, E45, E47 and E49,
the worst case error will be +/-36kHz from the nominal frequency.

Ah yes. That's certainly one of the reasons for using a weird reference
frequency. I recall that certain systems insisted that the four set-top
bypass channels had to be close to the standard off-air broadcast
channels, because some TV sets would not tune to anything but these.

They would have to be very unusual TV sets!

It was more likely to be, in the case of Westminster, that, when CATV
systems rarely went above 600MHz, there was nowhere else to put them,
coupled with the fact that the off-air channels were left clear, so it
was convenient utilise to this for the n + 2 arrangement by straddling
the otherwise blank off-air allocation.

A comb of 7.988636364MHz would allow E25, E27, E29 and E31 to be used
with +/-34kHz error (off-airs being 23, 26, 30 & 33)

Of course, this was all long before the Channel 5 debacle - I can't see
a way of interleaving 5 channels around Crystal Palace without involving
the allegedly taboo n + 5 scenario - although I've never seen a problem
with any set I used directly connected to a CATV network

But wasn't it at the same place which ingeniously used a not-quite-8MHz
comb reference which was actually derived from one of the UHF off-air
channels?

Well, dividing E26 by 64 or E30 by 68 would do the trick. I based my
comb frequency on E28, being the centre channel but an off-air lock
would certainly produce a very stable result, and the offsets would
still be reasonable - +58/-11kHz or +11/-58kHz, depending on choice of
off air channel.

As the headend equipment was largely supplied by the 'other'
company, I doubt if I would have been involved with tinkering with it
(although I'm pretty sure that I did swap one or two of the modulator
SAW filters because of the problems which arose when NICAM started).
Maybe 'my' comb generator was a replacement.

My involvement with the Westminster system was at the time of the DTV
roll-out (or possibly Broadband Internet, I can't remember which) which
coincided with the transfer of the system from BT to ntl, so I never saw
the BT headend but I did see the documentation related to it, complete
with frequency details.

--

Terry