Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

Default Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems

Terry Casey wrote:

In article ,
says...

David Looser wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote:

hwh wrote:
On 2/5/12 7:04 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
But you've got to remember that this is the country that kept 405-line
going for, I think, longer after 625 started than it had been going
before that.

Erm, 405 started before the war and was alone until 1964? Then it
continued for another 20 years?

Someone said the last two years of 405 line signals were generated by an
unusal
method, I think the word they used was "endearing". What was it?

BTW, the BBC shut down TV broadcasts in for World War II, and resumed
them at the exact point in the same broadcast after the war. :-)

That's very easy to do with film. I should know. I loaded and ran
truckloads of 16 mm film on a pair of RCA TP66 projectors in the '70s.

I'm sure it is, but as we've already established that the "exact point in
the same broadcast" bit isn't true its not relevant.

The myth that the engineers simply ceased transmission half-way through a
programme and left the station like a sort of Mary Celeste has been
widespread, but it is a myth. In fact there was an orderly shut down and the
film in the machines would have been rewound and put into storage before the
staff left. It would have been 35mm film (the BBC didn't have facilities for
transmitting from 16mm film pre-war) and thus on nitrate stock. NOT putting
it into proper storage would have constituted a fire hazard and been in
contravention of fire regulations.

It still would have been no problem to load and start it at exactly
the same frame, if they had wanted to.

All hypothetical. As David said earlier, it is a myth that transmission
was cut in the middle of the cartoon. Station logs exist that say
different.

Another myth is that the Television Service resumed in 1946 with the
same cartoon. It didn't!

The cartoon WAS repeated that day - but it wasn't the first programme.

Does it matter? Were you alive to see it, and in their service
area? I wasn't and I wasn't. I was a TV broadcast engineer at three US
TV stations from the early '70s to the late '80s. I started with
monochrome and film, and ended up with 1" Sony color VTRS & RCA TK46A
cameras feeding a 5 MW EIRP antenna 1700+ feet AAT.