Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast
Terry Casey Terry Casey is offline

Default Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems

In article ,
says...

"Terry Casey" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

From http://www.hywel.org.UK/bbc2launch/

QUOTE

When BBC2 launched on April 20th 1964, ...

UNQUOTE

panto mode.

Oh no it didn't!

/panto mode

OK, two can play at this game:

panto mode

Oh yes it did!

/panto mode

The launch of BBC2 was PLANNED for April 20th 1964 but a fire at
Battersea Power Station blacked out large areas of west London -
including the Television Centre - shortly before BBC2 was due to start.

In fact BBC2 *did* launch on April 20th, from a news studio at Alexandra
Palace, I've seen the recording. Not suprisingly the headline news item was
the power cut!

I think I'll put this down to short term memory loss ...

The version of events I described is the one that has been quoted for
over 40 years but I only became aware of that bulletin a couple of
months ago ...

Was it a recording you saw - or a film made at the time?

It was rather a pathetic attempt which should be filed in the "it would
have been better if they hadn't bothered" category.

I don't know what the viewers (if there were any left!) made of it at
the time but, when I saw the film it generated some laughter - possibly
out of pity - from some of the audience.

I should have a recording of it somewhere ...

--

Terry