Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default OT First CCW righteous shoot under Wisconsin's new law

If these two authors weren't so hell bent on their own agendas, they might
have understood what I wrote (not what they thought I meant).

I didn't state the shooter had no skill (nor did I imply I do).. I
speculated that he wasn't prepared mentally.. to deliver a shot to body
center mass (to potentially kill an assailant).

It seems that the shooter hadn't made the committment to do that, or
couldn't do it in that situation (the mentally prepared comment).
The responsibility of discharging rounds in public places shouldn't be taken
lightly.. but heroic characters in movies do it all the time.
Hint - the guns aren't real.

It's what many would-be heros commonly try to do, wound or scare off an
assailant with spray-and-pray gunfire.
He didn't stop/drop the assailant.
He may have put others' lives at risk with his missed shots.. 4 or 5 misses,
all with the potential to kill (maybe 6 because the forehead shot apparently
was a near miss, maybe the leg shot was, too).

He didn't defend anyones' lives.. he defended the store's money, in reality.
That's the purpose of the security cameras.
It's likely the robber would've been caught whether or not the shooter
fired.

Spray-and-pray defensive shooting is what's too commonly seen in movies, and
also takes place in real life situations (the bank robbery in Hollywood
years ago by the robbers nearly fully covered in body armor).

Like every other instance that's been presented about any other situation, I
wasn't there.

And I'm fairly certain that George and n427c haven't interviewed the other
people who were in the vicinity of those missed shots.

Maybe I'm just not gullible enough to believe that would-be hero citizens
discharging firearms in public places makes life safer or that those actions
will end these sorts of crimes.
I'm not anti-gun or anti-gun rights, as was probably assumed.

--
WB

On 2/6/2012 7:31 PM, George Plimpton wrote:
On 2/6/2012 7:18 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 5 Feb 2012 19:48:43 -0500, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

I speculate that the shooter wasn't prepared mentally for what he was
about
to do.. it sounds like (I'm not gonna review TV reports or store cam
video)
the shooter started his aim? near the feet and the stress caused his
trigger
finger to respond in full-auto mode, possibly causing uncontrolled
muzzle
climb (toe-to-head, maybe).

I wouldn't be surprised if civil lawsuits follow.. the posted "no
firearms"
sign, for one reason.

For those who think that the guy was such a bad shot, I would direct
your attention to the video of the police officer and the criminal, at
a distance of approximately ten feet from eaach other, emptying BOTH
weapons and neither hitting the other. I wish I could remember where
I saw that. This was a trained police officer and he emptied his
weapon without a hit. The guy in this story got two hits, though not
disabling, out of seven. A far better average. When the adreneline
starts pumping things don't go exactly as planned. Until you've been
in the guys position and done better, perhaps it's better that you
keep your disparaging comments to yourself. Just a thought.

I agree.