Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default What causes this crazy brown 'crazing' in a varnished steelmeasuring square?

On Feb 3, 11:22*pm, Chuck Banshee wrote:
What causes this crazy brown crazing on a varnished steel square?
*http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7485181.jpg

What can be done to get rid of it (so that I can read the numbers on the
rule)?

I pulled out this measuring square out of my toolbox and was dismayed to
realize that it was almost impossible to read the markings because of
this haphazard crazy brown "crazing" all over the place.

Can it be fixed?

Remove the varnish. Ive never seen one that wasnt bare metal.. Did it
come that way new? I used to have one that was blued, not surre if it
came that way or if it was something my brother did. He learned how to
blue guns and he was bluing everything for a while.

Jimmie