Posted to alt.home.repair
chaniarts[_3_] chaniarts[_3_] is offline

Default I'm curious how 'bad' these (hopefully minor) mistakes are inlaying sandstones

On 2/6/2012 12:51 PM, Chuck Banshee wrote:
I'm sure nothing is perfect - but - I'm curious how bad these obvious
(after the fact) mistakes are in laying mortar& sandstone on a concrete
footing.

Here are some bubbles that come up for a few minutes after spraying the
newly laid stone with water:
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7508817.jpg

this isn't fixable. if water gets into that bubble and freezes, it will
expand and crack something else. fix it then.

And, this crack developed overnight against the foundation wall:
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7508819.jpg

generally, since the concrete will move and shrink, it's likely
impossible to avoid this.

And, this stone was laid with almost zero distance to the foundation wall:
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7508821.jpg

the solution for the previous one and this one is to use the product
that's meant to prevent this. it's a bendy board, sometimes made out of
a tarred cardboard or some such material it's flexible, and lasts for years.

they sell a product in a tube, used like bathroom caulk, to fix these
types of errors. in the same section as where you bought the bagged
concrete in HD.

I realize not much can be done for these three errors ... but ... since I
have 20 more stones to go ... what SHOULD I have done to not make these
mistakes in the first place?