Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast

Default Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Oh, but *I* have. Did some work on an American Optical installation that
used these some time ago - and just assumed the design had been changed
for something better by now.

Why change it? They have a damn good safety record, and there are over
a billion in use. Just because someone outside the US dislikes them is
no reason to change. There are multiple grades, from what I linked, to
medical grade with extreme low leakage. There are commercial grade,
intended for heavy usage. Think about it. Most plugs are rarely
inserted or removed, and the standard duty is fine.

The fact there are multiple grades says much. Better to use an entirely
different connector for arduous duty. Then there is no danger of mixing
them up.

Some items are only
plugged in one time, and used till the item is worn out. From what I've
seen of European connectors, I wouldn't use one anywhere. We had to use
them in the Earth Stations we built for the European Space Agency. We
had them ship us what they wanted used, then had to fight with it to
find enough usable hardware. The outlets we used on US turnkey were
steel Wiremold outlet strips. They sent us pairs of sockets that had to
be wired and mounted inside the racks. It looked like the crap imported
from China for flea markets. No inspect for US use, and the connectors
are incompatible with the US market. Some had a tiny expanded scale 250
voltmeter that displayed 200 to 250 volts. They wondered why only
foreign tourist were buying the crap.

I'd say exactly the same of that fitting you pictured. It looks like it
would be impossible to make something cheaper or nastier.

--
*Why is it that to stop Windows 95, you have to click on "Start"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.