Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Artemus[_4_] Artemus[_4_] is offline

Default Work Instructions by another name?

"Pete S" wrote in message
.. .
Okay, this may sound a little like trivial pursuit, but-------

I just wrote up some work instructions for a project to make 50 rug weaving frames
for my wife. She's going to put on 2 classes in making these 23" X 42" rugs this
summer at our biannual national blacksmith conference in Rapid City, SD.

Anyway, I am wracking my brain trying to remember what we called "work
instructions" at 3M company, primarily for hardgoods mfg, years ago.

It's not that I
HAVE to know, it's just that I can't dredge up the name and it bugs me. At the
time, 20 years ago, whatever we called them was pretty common in industry.

---Oh, why did I do it all?
Well, I had to cut up a lot of 1 1/2" wide hardwood slats and then do several
operations on them. I wanted to get the slats all cut to get rid of that mess in
the shop, so, laying out my intended process flow gave me better insight into how
careful I'd have to be in stock selection, tolerances, etc. before I started making
some jigs.
My wife may be doing some of the machining, so I wanted to make sure that the
parts come out "right the first time".
And no, I won't be expecting any ISO-9001 or TS whatever auditors in the check on
me.

Pete Stanaitis

Procedure?
Art