Bridger

Default advancing hand plane blade to keep shaving wood

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:00:29 GMT, dave in fairfax
wrote:

"Bruce C." wrote:
Mike, that is a good suggestion!! Itsounds like his plane blade is dulling
quickly which means that the steel is soft. Burnishing will locally work
harden the steel as well as restore the keen edge. The hardened edge should
last longer if the assumptions are correct. Several iterations of burnishing
and using it with maybe a light honing may restore the sharpness longivity
he is looking for.
If this doesn't work, and the blade steel still appears to be too soft, the
only remaining answer is to get a replacement blade.

Which makes me wonder what blade is in it now. I don't think this
has been addressed as yet. Is this an old Stanley blade, one post
'60s, or a new one from the local BORG? That alone may be the
problem. You can't sharpen taffy.

Dave in Fairfax

the handyman line wasn't stanley's finest...