Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Removing broken hitch ball : Epilog

I dunno what protections are in place for businesses that sell large volumes
of sub-standard inferior products, but it seems as though there are some
sort of legal exceptions, because many investigators are trained and
experienced in finding the faults which result in large lawsuit pay-outs.

It seems to me that if sellers were held responsible for injuries and
damages from inferior products, they would've all been sued out of existence
by now.

I wouldn't be surprised if investigative researchers are constantly
searching for and archiving comments such as ones related to quality issues
related to equipment failures.

The typical packaging disclaimer that goes something like.. "product
manufacturer's responsibility is limited to only providing a replacement of
the product" shouldn't be enough to isolate them from knowingly distributing
crap products.

There are two types of equipment which I always inspect closely.. hardware
which could result in injury and electrical products.
On metalworking machines and most power equipment/tools, any fasteners which
fail could potentially result in painful and/or blood-letting situations.

I always inspect electrical devices, and especially those in which the final
assembly is dependent upon hand soldering of line-powered connections, I've
repeatedly found flakey sub-standard workmanship.

In the race to the bottom of acceptable quality standards, soldering a 15A
line connection consisting of a tinned stranded wire, quickly soldered to a
circuit board pad or metal contact is a fairly common practice in China
sourced products.

I've seen these types of connections separate just from moving the wire,
numerous times in lighting equipment and power tool products.

--
WB

"Winston" wrote in message
Wild_Bill wrote:
I dunno where your parts originated, but over the years, I've found a lot
of mating threaded parts from China or India
to be completely unsatisfactory.

It is scary to contemplate other safety-critical fasteners that are
also 'accidents waiting to happen'.

Poor axial alignment is another issue that puzzles me. I could only tap a
hole that far off if I was attempting to run a
tap by hand, behind my back.

Heh! Yup.

Since these overseas manufacturers don't reject parts due to poor
quality, it's up to the end user to make the right
decision wrt proper/safe use of those parts.

That's what I found.

--Winston