Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Removing broken hitch ball?

"Snag" wrote in message
Winston wrote:
Bought a brand-new hitch ball to replace the dented
and cruddy old junky looking thing.

Whilst tightening it with medium force (using a short
1/2" ratchet without a cheater) I managed to strip
the nut threads (I think). The thing is now stuck in
the bumper and the nut just rotates backwards without
unthreading if I attempt to back it off.

Right now, I'm thinking that I will carve a slot
up the male thread and cleave the nut in two using
an angle grinder and cutting disk.

Better idears, please.

--Winston

Portaband . Split the stud and nut all the way .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Cutting torch. Start at the bottom, and aim just enough to hit the threads
and cut off about 1/6 of the nut, where the flame barely touches the stud.
Removed many an inner bearing like that without harming the spindle.

Or your cutting idea could work, too. I have a Makita die grinder with a
small thin wheel that would cut a nice groove big enough to get a chisel
into.

Many ways to do it.

And next time .................

Steve