Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Removing broken hitch ball?

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
wrote in message
Erik wrote:
You know, now that I think about it, years ago I remember seeing the
local trailer rental place cutting off such a nut... they were using a
big 'porta power' like nut splitter... the biggest I've (personally)
ever seen.

Wonder if it's a common issue for those outfits, and if so, would they
cut off yours for a few bucks. Might be worth some calls.

Our posts passed in the night!

The old hitch ball is off through the use of Dremel
and chisel. The new hitch ball appears to be of
even lower quality than the old one was.

Now I am in 'ponder' mode.

put a dollup of anti-sieze on the threads

Sounds like I should 'plate up' the stud by a few thousandths first.
I really don't see this thing handling anywhere near the 160 ft. lb.
torque spec as is.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.

--Winston