Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Removing broken hitch ball?

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 20:42:25 -0800,
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

That's probably the best. I don't care if I cut into the screw. Just
replace that ball hitch. Were it mine, I'd reconsider brands now,
too.

Yup. I figured I couldn't go wrong with O'Reilly
but I figured wrong.

Hell, at least half their stuff is import now, and most US workers in
mfg are illegals, so why feel safe?sick grinne

If I'm gonna get HF quality, I want to pay HF prices.

(...)

Here's what I use:
http://tinyurl.com/7uhjmkp arbor
http://tinyurl.com/7fokwcu cutoff discs
http://tinyurl.com/83absuz grinder
http://tinyurl.com/7hw8246 grinder

or the works together for under ten bucks:
http://tinyurl.com/83absuz

Many server errors with tinyurl this morning.
I get the idear however.

Add discs for $7 and a buck for Uncle Moonbeam and your total for a
new, considerably heavier duty, cutoff system is under $20.

I've got a couple angle grinders and a brand new pack
of cutting discs, so I'm set, if I decide to go all
Medieval on it.

I've never had a HF ball go bad on me, either. YMOV.
http://tinyurl.com/7gqdyjq or http://tinyurl.com/7vzj7ag

Or go with a guaranteed-to-gall, stainless steel, U.S. made ball:
http://stainles****chballs.com/hitchballss23121125.aspx for only $45
plus shipping.g

Holey Underwear!

Here's better pricing on U.S. balls: http://tinyurl.com/82px6le

P.S: Be sure to use anti-seize on the threads. And consider running
the nut up and off several times (prior to installation) to remove any
handling damage to the threads/burrs/dirt/worker parts.

Okayfine. Thanks!

--Winston