Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default What causes this crazy brown 'crazing' in a varnished steel measuring square?

Chuck Banshee wrote:
What causes this crazy brown crazing on a varnished steel square?
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7485181.jpg

What can be done to get rid of it (so that I can read the numbers on
the rule)?

I pulled out this measuring square out of my toolbox and was dismayed
to realize that it was almost impossible to read the markings because
of this haphazard crazy brown "crazing" all over the place.

Can it be fixed?

Technically, it is called "rust".

You can get rid of it by removing the clear coat on the rule and then either
sanding off the rust or removing it chemically.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...