Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Removing broken hitch ball?

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 19:07:44 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 18:27:01 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Bought a brand-new hitch ball to replace the dented
and cruddy old junky looking thing.

Whilst tightening it with medium force (using a short
1/2" ratchet without a cheater) I managed to strip
the nut threads (I think). The thing is now stuck in
the bumper and the nut just rotates backwards without
unthreading if I attempt to back it off.

Right now, I'm thinking that I will carve a slot
up the male thread and cleave the nut in two using
an angle grinder and cutting disk.

Better idears, please.

That's probably the best. I don't care if I cut into the screw. Just
replace that ball hitch. Were it mine, I'd reconsider brands now,
too.

Cut, hammer a proper sized chisel in the slot to open the nut, then
toss the two parts. (3 with locknut)

And take it back to where you bought it and get your money back.

Gunner Asch