Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Festool power tools.

On 2/3/2012 4:15 PM, Arthur Shapiro wrote:
In article88GdncTj3fN1zrHSnZ2dnUVZ5tSdnZ2d@giganews. com, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
I am not saying that they were not good cables but other than marketing
why have insulation that was clear and magnified the appearance of the
cable.

Who knows? Probably at that level it's marketing, an activity by which I'm
personally repulsed. I don't think you can fault them for expending effort to
make something look appealing or to otherwise distinguish the stuff from the
other 50 companies making similar merchandise. I surely wouldn't purchase
something that didn't have heavy connectors firmly attached to the ends; do
they expect folks to be using those binding posts with holes in them to stick
the wire and smush it down???

LOL Well I am going for marketing then, I seriously wondered if I was
missing something. No kidding this cables insulation was 1/2" wide and
1/4" thick and the exposed wires in the ends was no more than 14 gauge.
I swear they derived the name after they developed the look. The
cable looked exactly like what you would imagine "monster lamp cord"
would look like. My first thoughts when I saw the cable many years ago
was how are you going to hide that stuff and or get it to lay flat.
Comparing them to a set of automobile jumper cables is a stretch but not
much. and then I noticed the ends of the cable with the insulation
stripped away and I almost laughed. The clear insulation literally
looked full of cable. Think of a pig, his insulation, and then his
tail, his wire. ;~)

Probably the best (?) example of this mentality are those mini stereo systems
that look like a stacked bunch of separate components in a vertical array -
amp, preamp, tuner, tape deck, CD player, etc. And you open up the unit and
you see it's all a facade like the movie studio westerns, and there's just one
little circuit board sitting at the bottom of the otherwise empty interior!

Exactly! That is what the old Monster speaker wired looked like.

Have to say I recently bought a low-level Monster product. The tiny desktop
computer I built last summer didn't have two DVI outputs on the motherboard,
unlike the old computer. It has a DVI and a HDMI output. Thus I couldn't
drive both monitors. So I purchased a Monster DVI---HDMI cable. It seemed
to be well-constructed, had heavy connectors well-attached to the cable at
both ends, and certainly gave the impression that it would hold up to use over
time. What more could one ask? It has worked out well.

Art

It sounds like their features have improved.