Posted to rec.woodworking
Stuart[_5_] Stuart[_5_] is offline

Default Festool power tools.

In article ,
Dave wrote:
I'm not so sure about that. I think I remember reading somewhere that
electrons travel on the outside surface of wire.

You're thinking of "skin effect"

In that case, there would be more outside surfaces on stranded wire than
there would be on solid wire. More surfaces to travel means better
conduction and that means better sound.

Only becomes noticeable at /high/ frequencies. There is a formula but not
suitable for a plain-test news post.

With 13A copper mains cable at frequencies below 13kHz the skin depth is
greater than the cable radius. At 20kHz the skin depth is 0.47mm and the
conductor radius radius is 0.6. The conductor resistance increase from
152mOhm to 160mOhm per meter which will have no appreciable consequences.

--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails
http://www.asciiribbon.org