Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT unsigned title

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 15:00:29 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 13:40:46 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 08:43:42 -0600, Ignoramus31868

On 2012-02-03, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 3 Feb 2012 07:32:37 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Winston" wrote in message
Larry Jaques wrote:
Add trailers and things get giggly pretty quickly.
Backing downhill around a corner in the rain after dark with a trailer
is when it gets truly interesting.
Not for me, man!

Backing a trailer straight across an open parking lot is a challenge for me.
It's hard to reverse your thinking and drive counterintuitively, isn't
it? "To move the trailer to the right, turn the steering wheel to the
left." Then I look at double and triple trailers and get all goosey.

I do not think that you can back up with doubles or triples.
It isn't done because the 2nd and/or 3rd trailers have movable
steering yokes. It's like trying to push rope.
UPS transfer drivers back up double pups all the time. Triples are a
real chore, you have to really practice to get the third trailer hooked
up on one try.

I knew it could be done but have never seen it. Do they put some kind
of tension on the yokes to keep them from wagging at first bump, or
what?

The UPS dollies have a locking pin set-up that makes it much easier when
backing. The yard trucks get to cheat a bit as they have hooks on the
nose so they can chase the dollies easier.

Aha! The cheat is revealed.

--
Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself.
-- Thomas Jefferson