Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Festool power tools.

On 2/3/2012 12:57 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/3/2012 12:46 PM, dpb wrote:
On 2/3/2012 12:07 PM, Swingman wrote:

What is getting to your ear, including overtones and harmonics, can
definitely be degraded by that cable.

Perhaps I misunderstood your context ... or you misunderstood mine?

No.

Yes

I'm saying that in the audible range there's not going to be enough
degradation owing to the wire chosen for audio cable that one is going
to be able to measure it, what more hear it audibly.

I'm saying ... do a side by side comparison with fifty feet of electric
extension cord, and ten feet of a high quality audio cable, to a good
set of speakers and tell me most listeners, and particularly a trained
one, will not hear the difference.

My ears are 69 years old, but I'd lay a wager any day that I could still
accurately AB the difference, with familiar content in a familiar
environment.

Well, to be fair, compare 10-ft of each but I'll bet you can't in a
truly blind test w/ the identical inputs and non-faulty connections.

I looked at it in the lab w/ a signal analyzer in years gone by when a
coworker who was an audiophile was making the same claims and there
simply wasn't any measurable difference in the signal. You can't (and
no one else can) hear what isn't there and there isn't material
attenuation or reflection at those frequencies which are audible to be
significant (unless, of course, somebody doctors the connectors to add
attenuators or other such shenanigans.

At that time (mid-70s) I recall there was at least one uncovering of one
how the patch cords at an audio outlet had been so modified and it was
how they were convincing folks they could hear the difference. In that
case, of course, they could. When a straight plug was used, all of a
sudden the difference went away for some reason...