Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Festool power tools.

On 2/3/2012 11:53 AM, dpb wrote:
On 2/3/2012 10:00 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/3/2012 9:43 AM, dpb wrote:

At human-audible frequencies, there simply isn't any signal distortion
of a measurable magnitude that could be discerned audibly.

Ahh, but "human audible" frequencies are only part of the story.

It is well known that _third order harmonics_, well above "human
audible" frequencies, do color the sound within the human audible
frequencies.

If they're a measurable component, it's because they've been generated
somewhere else than in the cable, though, and modulated into the human
range of hearing.

The cable by and of itself, won't be doing that.

My point, once again ... your remark "there simply isn't any signal
distortion of a measurable magnitude that could be discerned audibly" is
not the entire story of what can be "discerned audibly".

No argument that the content getting to your ear was indeed generated
elsewhere, but one of the paths to your ear of the reproduced content
is, under discussion ... a cable.

What is getting to your ear, including overtones and harmonics, can
definitely be degraded by that cable.

Perhaps I misunderstood your context ... or you misunderstood mine?

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010