Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bread Machine recommendation. Want one NOT made in China.

On Feb 1, 2:02*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Feb 1, 1:28*pm, "
wrote:

On Feb 1, 12:46*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Feb 1, 12:11*pm, Edge wrote:

I used to work for a customer service company that took the complaints
of consumers through their 800 numbers. Each complaint was classified,
grouped and analyzed by the parent company. Any deviation from normal
stats were flagged. The defective products could be tracked by
production runs to the manufacturers country, factory, date, time,
shift. All products would have records of *the materials used as well
as the labor. I agree with Trader4. With the multi-national
manufacturers like Panasonic, nobody can just substitue inferior
material and get away with it for long. It is the parent company that
specifies a plastic cog or a metal one. Ryobi uses plastic parts in
their drills. DeWalt uses metal parts.

All that stuff about tracking complaints and tracing them back to the
shift sounds good on paper.

However, if you've ever heard the term "garbage in, garbage out" so
then you shouldn't put much faith in the process.

That is just totally bogus. *There is a whole process of
qualifying vendors. *A responsible company doesn't just
find a company in China or anywhere and then take and
ship their product. *You inspect their facitlities, see what
they are doing, do random quality inspection of incoming
product. *This isn't anything new. *This is how business has been done
for a LONG time.

You ship me garbage and you're out

I recently called Panasonic about a bread machine I received as a
gift. I gave them the model number and asked a question about the
relationship between their loaf sizes of "Medium, Large and Extra-
Large" and some recipes I had that listed the size in weights (1.5 lb
and 2 lb).

The rep repeated the model number back to me and then looked something
up and said that "Medium, Large and Extra-Large" meant 1 lb, 1.5 lb
and 2 lb loafs.

Since I still had the box right in front of me I asked her: "So why
does the box says it makes "up to 2.5 lb loaves"?

She put me on hold and came back to tell me that she had looked up the
wrong model number and should have told me 1.5, 2 and 2.5.

The point here is that unless the reps really know what they are
doing, the data they enter will not be accurate and the trcking data
will not be accurate.

We've all had situations where we knew more

about the product that we were calling about than the CSR at the 800
number, so I don't put much faith in the accuracy of their 'tracking"
systems.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, Garbage Tracking

Customer service is a whole different process than
making sure what's coming in meets the company's
quality specs.- Hide quoted text -

trader4,

I'm not sure who you are "bogusing" here.

I was responding to Edge's comment that these Customer Service
organizations tally consumer complaint data and use it to trace
problems all the way back to the shift that built the unit.

Based on my experience with CSR's representing countless companies,
and having worked on the management side of IT help desks, I would put
no faith in the assertion that they can pinpoint a problem that
(allegedly) occurred during C shift on March 3, 2011 at the Yung Min
Teng factory. I just don't believe that the folks wearing the headsets
are entering data accurate enough to do that. I've experienced it as a
consumer and I've seen it in practice at work.

My "Garbage In, Garbage Out" referred to the data entered by the
CSR's, not to any product.- Hide quoted text -

I thought you were referring to product, not CSRs.
Quality control goes well beyond what CSRs enter.
Have you heard of ISO 9000? If it were impossible
to control quality from foreign sources like China,
companies like Boeing would have planes falling out
of the air. IMO, US companies that are shipping crap
Chinese product are doing it because they don't
care and know perfectly well what they are getting
and shipping.